We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rude people

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
rude people

While in really enjoying the experience here in hk, after 5 weeks id like to share my opinion on one aspect.

while in life there are always going to be ill mannered people i find hk seems to have a disproportionate amount of people that i find rude/ill mannered.

that or i have been really unlucky in my experiences.

for example, just now i am walking along the pavement with my mother and a pedal bike approaches from the opposite direction. The cyclist clips my mums arm quite badly. But does not even acknowledge she hurt someone, although the scrape was enough to veer her off balance a little.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,489 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rude people

HK is a very crowded environment as you know. People bumping into other people is something to be expected. Saying sorry is not something HK people do regularly. It's a different culture, not rude by HK standards. Don't bring your British sensitivity to judge HK people.

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rude people

Not sensitive, well aware its crowded, bumping into people cant be helped.

im just incredulous that you think its okay to hurt someone and carry on as if it doesn't matter.

i have low standards for hk as in well used to the culture, but even by my standards i find it poor.

i welcome your response but you just highlight my point. You come across as rude. Im pretty sure i could have made your point without doing so.

cest la vie

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,335 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rude people

Change your attitude and enjoy the trip, if you don't, you lose. The world is not going to change on your behalf. I say the same to myself.

After watching so many English movies and TV shows of perfect gentlemen, I was "SHOCKED" how rude people were in London on my multiple business visits to and thru London. That is just part of the travel adventure, different culture, different people, I had no complain, made me tougher. If I complain, do you think anyone care, apologize or feel sorry for me?

In HK, I walk faster and I learned to stay out of the way of locals, ditto in New York city. It is what it is. If I cannot handle that, I should stay home in sunny warm weather, friendly people and slower pace California. I don't think HK people are rude, in fact, they are much nicer than people in New York city and London.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 07:54
Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rude people

I think this is probably a reflection of large busy city syndrome rather than something specific to HK. People in Melbourne and Sydney tend to be on average not as polite as those in smaller Australian cities just because busy people don't take as much notice of their surroundings. However, I wouldnt let that spoil the memories of a holiday. For me, the hype and buzz in busy cities is awesome enough to outweigh any rudeness or curtness.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,365 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rude people

Sorry about that Vanilla.

Apologies to your mum for the unpleasant experience. Unfortunately, this does simply come down to unsubtle cultural differences that are not going to change anytime soon. It is best to try and not let it negatively affect you to a point of ruining the rest of your trip. Best regards to the rest of your visit to our city.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,489 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rude people

Wow Vanilla where did I say it's OK to hurt someone. Don't put words in my mouth. I am just telling you it's HK culture. What is rude or not is culturally dependent. What you consider rude back in England is everyday occurrence in HK.

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rude people

Thanks to all that have taken time to post, even those of opposing view.

please don't misunderstand me, i am well aware of hkers ways, my parents live here and many things that are culturally different i accept as part of my own heritage.

i also appreciate everything crowded places bring. Being jostled around does not bother me in the least. What does bother me us that someone can hurt someone else albeit an accident and think so little of that human being that they not even show the least bit of concern. My mother noticeably called out in pain, she now has a bruise on her arm.

whether you live in uk , hk, countryside or metropolitan area surely we have not come so selfish that we cannot even take responsibility over pain caused to another human.

this will not mar my trip as in enjoying eating, seeing, meeting people more than you can imagine. This was a personal observation on my part which i stand by.

to social, if that was not your meaning then please accept my apologies i rather took it as an implication, as you seem to condone that my mother and i should accept and shut up. While you are entitled to your opinion i am equally allowed to express my view.

i found your post to be rather racist\xenophobic in nature, my uk values have nothing to do with showing some consideration to other human beings.

does that stranger on the street mean so little to us that we don't care if we hurt them?

im not naive enough to think anything will change. My post was a reaction to an event, and from my general observations during my time here.

^^ wow that's alot to type on a phone.

God Bless.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rude people

It is normal and not considered rude over there to bump into someone and not apologize. Just the way it is. Cultural difference as said above.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
892 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rude people

Next time brace for impact and see how far you can make them fly off their bike! They shouldn't be riding on the pavement in the first place - another example of one of HK's many laws that are rarely if ever enforced by police.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,916 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rude people

Have to admit I found it strange at first to have all these people pushing & banging into me, all the time, but as I'm twice the size of most people in Hong Kong, I just let them get on with it. Its not like they're going to be able to push me out of the way or knock me over lol.

Makes it easy when I want to go somewhere, as my shoulders are generally at everybody elses head height & having 2-3 times the weight advantage, makes it very simple to push everybody out of my way as I move through the crowds, knowing that this is acceptable behaviour in HK. :)