We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

Hi,

I have heard that you can get fake purses taken away at the airport in HK.

I'm not planning on buying any, just curious if that was really true.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,490 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

Not so much HK as much as in the US when you arrive back home.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

The fine is US$10,000 for each counterfeit, if you get caught. Not long ago I saw someone got caught, had several purses spread out on a conveyer belt at SFO customs station. 5 purses $50,000 or 10 for $100,000. There are many stories of people being fined huge sum, in newspapers too, but I do not know if hey are urban legend or actual stories. Can be a lot of fun buying, but not worth the potential huge risk.

People say LAX is very strict, I've noticed SFO and SEA are obviously getting much stricter in recent years.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

Here’s the official enforcement policy of H.K.’s Custom and Excise Department on counterfeit goods:

customs.gov.hk/en/…index.html

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

The rules in the US are published on CBP website.

Articles bearing marks that are counterfeit or inappropriately using a federally registered trademark are subject to seizure and forfeiture......

However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import .....

This exemption may be granted not more than once every 30 days. The arriving passenger may retain .....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

I've never seen anyone's luggage been looked into by the HK customs, I am sure they care about narcotics and recently baby formula milk powder... never heard of ppl stopped for personal items

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

Does not make any legal sense for US Customs to allow each person one counterfeit item every 30 days, never heard of such thing, that is not how American laws work. It is like allowing each person one crime per 30 days, you can steal or rob bank once a month, but you may not steal twice a month. If you rob 2 different banks, does that count as 1 crime or 2? hogwash.

In the past year, there has been high intensity efforts in both China and USA to crack down on counterfeit goods, in factory raids, in China retail, for commercial container shipments and high profile raids in the U.S.

In the last 2 months, in unprecedented level, US Customs conducting(still on-going) "Intensive Exam" on most commercial shipments across the board, many of our container shipments have been delayed up to 3 weeks, including those from countries with no counterfeit problem, such as Korea and Japan. All our shipments were eventually released after long delay, as we do not handle any counterfeit goods. Such long delay never happened before in our 30 years of importing; in the past based on our solid clean record, nothing is ever checked. If anything went thru "intensive exam", usually cleared in 1-2 days without actually "checking". But a recent Japan shipment, we saw many cartons were cut opened and contents opened. They are serious.

IF you feel lucky, go ahead.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,490 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

For what it's worth, there is anecdotal evidence reported here on TA that they are lenient when you have a small quantity for personal use and not a bunch for all your friends, which then can be considered importation. I should add that these comments are not recent though.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

First, US Customs does not check mass majority of travelers, but far more than other customs in Asia. Some were sent for xray screening, for whatever reasons or no reason, don't know what they check at this level, but may not be counterfeits, because that is not how your find them. For most of 30 years, we were waived thru, except in the last 3 years, we were always sent thru the xray, but uneventful, just put luggage thru and walk away. My mother came back from a China tour yesterday, she was sent to xray too, she traveled outside country once every 10+ years and had a small case, we travel outside constantly and have 3 big suitcases.

If caught, my guess most small random cases will get away with a warning, all depends on how you manage it, and if and how hard they want to throw the book at you, and which agent is on duty.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

>>..allow each person one counterfeit item every 30 days, never heard of such thing,

So you are saying this is a spoofed website? CBP website publishes false information? or you are just too lazy to do some basic research?

cbp.gov/xp/…prohibited_restricted.xml

Edited: 09 November 2013, 02:21
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,343 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing Counterfeit Purses back to USA

I've heard this story, emphasis on story. Man brought back a fake Rolax. USCustoms want to charge him import customs based on the value of a real Rolax. But it's a fake, said the man. Then do you want to pay the fine for trying to bring in faked goods? No ill just throw this Way, said the man. Then you may get fined for littering, said Customs.