We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

Hayle, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

Hi,

Interested in a holiday to Hong Kong for 2 and want to stay in a large hotel, Langham, Icon, Mira or similar. They all offer a 'Club Lounge' upgrade.

It is worth it and what do they offer. Would I be better taking a basic room class and buying drinks, snacks ect? Unsure of HK hotel bar prices and what is offered for breakfast in the Club lounge.

I love all inclusive holidays, this seems as close as it gets in HK .

Cheers,

BW

Edited: 09 November 2013, 18:20
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

>> Would I be better taking a basic room class and buying drinks, snacks ect? Unsure of HK hotel bar prices and what is offered for breakfast in the Club lounge. <<

I can only offer my thoughts in general about club lounges in hotels in Hong Kong. I have no knowledge on what their specific "club lounge" offer is at Mira or other hotels.

Some visitors like "club lounge" automatically because of the exclusivity. "Hey... I am the VIP here. Only me can be here..." Just for that, they will sign up. Some hotel club lounges do have great advantages - such as being on the highest floor of the property and have great views. (e.g. Langham Place - I think)

Some likes to pay the USD $50 extra or whatever for the all you can drink soda.

It is very different if you were going to an isolated island in the Pacific where the hotel is the only property for miles and miles around. In Hong Kong, you can literally take the elevator down to the lobby, walk across the street to a 7-11 or the alike, and buy soda, fruits, beer, packaged dim sum (some even offer freshly baked items)... and walk right back up to your room. All in 10 minutes. In many of the hotels.

Breakfast - well... typically a buffet set up. Typically western style with a little bit of Chinese touch. That would be like: sausages/bacon, eggs (some made to order right at the lounge), orange juice or other fruit juices, dairy stuff, milk and cereal, fresh fruits, plus - the Chinese touch - steamed siu mai, BBQ pork buns or a few other dim sum items. Coffee and tea - both English types and Chinese types.

With those hotels, there are plenty of local eateries offering breakfasts or lunches around the hotel if you want to explore. Or for some they may be happy with some "certainty" on what they are used to.

Look for an extra of about USD $10 - $15, HKD $100 - $150 per person for the breakfast add-on.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 19:20
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,641 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

I always book suite and club lounge whenever available, but the result is 50-50. many hotel club lounges are empty with nobody and limited food and no breakfast, a total waste of money. In recent 2 weeks swing thru Asia, 5 out of 6 club lounges were empty, void of people or food, both are interconnected, with no customers, they stop serving food. Your chances in getting quality club lounge in HK is far better, but not guaranteed. I remembered some, such as Marco Polo HK, club lounges were packed daily with waiters in tux serving first class food.

I found no easy way to know it in advance, except to look for lounge pictures online, this does not help much, or read through all the TA hotel reviews and try to see if club lounge is mentioned, which is extremely rare, so that means spending a lot of reading time with very little chances of finding answer. You can't ask the hotel: Is your club lounge good? that does not work.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

I am currently staying at a hotel in HK down the street from Langham. This is my first time booking the club level and for me it was worth it. Club level offers included Internet and local calls which is why I booked it. I prefer not to be nickeled and dimed for everything and the price difference was worth it. I don't know the price difference at your hotels but 7 eleven, food and resturants are plentiful around here so if you are only seeking the drinks available on Club level there are other options.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

We stayed at the Hotel Panorama by Rhombus in a club room. For us the difference was being ushered up to the club lounge for check in. We sat down and enjoyed a drink while personally attended to instead of lining up at the reception desk. The evening snacks were ok and I could have several drinks. The club lounge breakfast didn't have the same range as the restaurant but we just went down to the restaurant instead of the club lounge. We also booked on Agoda and found a good deal that included the club room.

Oscar

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

be careful at the holiday inn golden mile on nathan rd kowloon. they will try slug you for eating downstairs for breakfast if you have a club room with brekkie. just attrocious behavoiur from their management!! off my list of hotels i advise people to stay at not that they care. any intercon is pretty good on the upgrade as the room is better as well. if it doesnt include a room upgrade save your money!

Hayle, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

Hi and thanks for the replies,

At the moment I am interested in Hotel Icon, mainly because of its TA rankings. The price between a Club city room and a City room is approx £65 / $100 per night. I suppose for 2 people, when you include breakfast, evening cocktails, snacks, that isn't too bad.

Cheers all.

7. Re: Upgrading to Hotel Club Lounges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:18