We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

New York
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which hotel?

Single female traveling alone...I'm looking to stay in the TST area, but would take other suggestions for hotelsin other areas. I'm leaning towards the Mira HK or the Sheraton. Both have some good deals posted on line (Mira has better ones). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

I would take Mira. It is fairly new and nice. Sheraton shows its age. Since the 70's.

P.S. Sheraton does have its advantage - great location. Some rooms have good views of the Victoria Harbour, if that's desirable. No harbour view from Mira.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 02:01
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

Mira!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,527 posts
5,701 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

HPFT's assessment is spot on. I'd go with his suggestion.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

+1 Mira

They even have a ladies floor

Edited: 13 November 2013, 03:14
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

and actually in Mira, their Full Moon and New Moon room categories feature tubs with views of Victoria Harbour, framed by floor-to-ceiling windows.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

Mira is nice, but fills with many tour groups of mainlanders in the lobby...

If i was single female travelling, i would choose marco polo hong kong hotel where the stunning harbour view will keep you company at night, and connected to a huge shopping center with many dining options and shopping and all weather proof....just my opinion.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel?

Marco Polo Hong Kong is nice except it is a little far (but well within walking distance) from the nearest MTR station and the adjacent mall and that stretch of Canton Road are usually littered with mainland tourists who seem to have a different definition of mannerism and courtesy from the western standards.

Sheraton is showing its age but is generally well kept. Starwood is a well known brand whereas Mira is local. If Mira has a materially better price for the same room type than Sheraton, I'd go for Mira. Otherwise, I'd go for the Sheraton for reasons mentioned in earlier posts.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel?

Basically, most of Tsim Sha Tsui, Causeway Bay and Mongkok are all filled with mostly mainlanders....but Marco polo has the advantage of having so many options under one roof! If you feel like going out, you have many options, Taxi, ferry, bus, mini bus, mtr...

Mira....it is on Nathan Road but in an area where I personally find ok is the mirarmar shopping center... which you will be bored of in one hour. Then you would still have to walk towards Canton Road where most of Tsim Sha Tsui's action is.

The One is nearby, but I find this shopping center horrendously difficult to navigate around.

Oh well, everyone has different opinions, and thats the beauty of such a forum.

sheraton will never make it on my considered list in Kowloon hotels. Small rooms, staff are so "cold", some cannot speak proper english and worse of all,all of the dining options are horrible in the hotel!

Edited: 13 November 2013, 18:50
9. Re: Which hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:18