We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Uppsala, Uppsala...
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Hi!

I have the opportunity for a very short stopover in Asia, for about 3-4 days where I can basically utilize my time as I want. I was simply wondering, if you had to choose one of these locations, which one would it be?

I definitely intend to come back to China again, but for this time, it'll have to be one of these destinations.

Which one is the cheapest and easiest to navigate/get around with not knowing any Chinese?

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

I would say HK. You can survive easily in both without any Chinese, but HK is still easier. It is also dead easy to go around

You don't need visa for HK, one fewer thing to think about.

Uppsala, Uppsala...
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Thanks for your response! I was not intending to spend more than 72 hours so I could just use the transit visa for Shanghai.

But, perhaps a more important point, how does the prices compare? I've heard HK is much more expensive? I'm not looking for anything particular, but I love food and like to live comfortably while traveling. Cleanliness is very important to me regardless of where I go

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Both Cantonese and Shanghai cuisines are very good. Price... I guess it depends on what you are looking for. SH is the most expensive city in mainland China. Maybe others will help you about the price part.

Have never been to Sweden but it gives me a very "pure" impression. The two cities are clean in my opinion, but not sure yours..

Either is good. You will have a good time for sure~

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

If you do not know Chinese then Hong Kong would be easier. Many signs are in both Chinese and English, and on the MTR the announcements are in both Chinese and English.

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,111 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Double post.

Announcements in the Shanghai subway are also in English and Mandarin.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Hong Kong is the easier to navigate without knowing Chinese. Shanghai is cheaper than HK.

If I have to choose, it'd be HK, but for reasons that probably don't apply to you.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

I would choose Shanghai although i am from HK. Cheaper, less traffic and more variety of cuisine to choose from. HK can be claustrophobic for some travellers

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

I have been to both and I would opt for Hong Kong. I know HK very well (11 or so trips) and have only been to Shanghai once (for Expo). I found HK easier to be in as a single. I am happy wandering around at night - everything is close together. Shanghai is a bit more spread out and I wasn't comfortable at night on my own. For 72 hours you will get more for your buck in HK, especially if you stay in on Kowloon side. And the shopping in HK is great. They are both very clean.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
9. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 06:18