We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

Scunthorpe, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

I'm going to Hong Kong (one way) on 23rd January 2014.. currently looking into flights with various airlines but its all a bit overwhelming.

I don't mind having to stop off somewhere, although I'm trying to avoid a long connection as I will be travelling alone and don't want to overspend in an airport!

If anyone could recommend an airline which is comfortable and also doesn't cost the earth I would really appreciate it.

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

my top choices

virgin

cathay

finnair

other choices

klm

ba

air france

emirates

qatar

etihad

swiss air

lufthansa

i've flown

virgin, cathay, ba, klm, qatar and emirates to hong kong

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,086 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

In economy, the airlines that offer direct service from Heathrow (BA, CX, VS) are going to be more similar than different. CX has the best entertainment in terms of content.

In Premium Economy, BA is the best of the three.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

My airline of choice is Emirates. I like breaking the flight up into 2 by 7 hour chunks. The transit time in Dubai is about two hours

Of the direct carriers, the only one I would consider is Cathay

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

As above, for non-stop flights, you can't go wrong with BA, VS or CX.

For others with cheaper fares with a change of planes, do consider the Middle Eastern airlines such as EK and QR. They are really good in this day and age.

Although I have not heard good things about the mainland European airlines such as LH, AF, KL etc.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

Have a personal preference for Cathay Pacific for flights between HRW and HKG. Virgin is pretty good as well. Unfortunately, Air New Zealand, which was my second choice after CX dropped the London-HK route earlier this year. They were another very good option until earlier this year when they dropped the LDN-HK route.

Does anyone remember the old Oasis Airline experiment? Was reading an article about whether or not there should be another LCC between HK and London in the Standard last month (see link), reminded me of Oasis. Seems a long time ago!

www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp…

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

Have a look on http://www.skyscanner.com/ and you`ll get all the info you want.

Some fussy airlines** need proof of exit (ie another ticket) if your not a resident of HK, You can get a cheapish flight to Bangkok then cash in the ticket when you arrive, The ticket has to be cashable so no AirAsia unless you really want to go to BK for a weekend,

**Emirates ok, NZ/AUS fussy

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Scunthorpe, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

Thanks everyone for your opinions/suggestions.

JamieWHk, it dawned on me yesterday that I may need proof of exit. Problem being is that I actually have a job out in HK but can't apply for my visa until I get out there for various reasons so I'm going out there as a tourist until my GEP visa is approved. Would you recommend booking another flight?

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

We got HKG-LHR on Qatar business class for almost the same cost as BA premium economy. Has a short stop in Doha, whereas BA is direct.

Mentioned in this post
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

@Hannah..

I presume you`ll be on a UK passport. Hong Kong Immigration should have no problem letting you enter without a departure ticket. The problem is more with some of airlines taking you there.

You could get a ferry ticket online to Macau, http://www.turbojet.com.hk/en or http://www.nwff.com.hk/ . Cost about 30 pounds return and you`ll probably be making that trip anyway. Or just take a chance and if the airline needs an exit then just buy a exit ticket when your departing the UK - cash in the ticket when you arrive in HK.

AirAsia.com (like easyjet) offer cheap flights (about 50 pound single to Thailand - another trip you`ll be making ) but you cant really cash them in. You can always ask the Airline if you need an exit. Or how about an open return ticket back to UK. It shouldn't cost much more than a single and it`s always there if you have to get back home in an emergency.

AirAsia and the Ferry Companies don`t care if you have an departure ticket. Overall it`s not really a major hassle and can be easily sorted without wasting much money.

Mentioned in this post
london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airlines from the UK to Hong Kong (Jan 2014)

<<Problem being is that I actually have a job out in HK but can't apply for my visa until I get out there for various reasons so I'm going out there as a tourist until my GEP visa is approved.>>

I hope you are positive about your potential 'job'. It sounds very odd to me that you are unable to apply to for your visa in advance. In fact, I am not sure that you can apply for the visa when you are actually in Hong Kong - hopefully that is something you have checked out.

I dont know what job it is you are going for or who your employer is. I just hope, for your sake, that both are legitimate. Don't, even consider taking up employment, without the necessary visa. If you do and you are caught, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble