We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

Hello, I'm not entirely sure if this question belongs in this forum, but I'm hoping someone out there will be able to provide some insight from their experiences travelling with toddlers to Hong Kong.

I will be travelling to HK with my twin boy toddlers in July 2014. They will be 2.5 years old at the time and I am wondering what other families in similar situations have done with regards to potty training.

It's been a while since I've been to HK and I remember that aside from the hotel we were staying at and some malls, most of the washroom facilities were in-ground toilets. Is this still the case? If so, I fear this may confuse the boys in their potty training learning curve and also , I'm not even entirely sure how my boys would even 'go to the potty'.

The other option is to hold off their potty training and have them in diapers. At the moment, I'm leaning towards this option and was wondering what types of diaper-changing facilities are available in HK.

I'm probably over-thinking this, but would be ever-grateful for some advice/thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

Most of the shopping malls have excellent restroom facilities, also big hotels, restaurants, etc.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

Thanks for your reply. How are the restroom facilities aside from big hotels and shopping malls? I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect, to help me decide whether or not I should potty train my twin toddlers before or after travel.

Thanks again.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

As I said, most restaurants, all big hotels, and all modern shopping malls have excellent restroom facilities. Also amusement parks such as Disney and Ocean Park, also Victoria Peak area. What other places do you plan to go?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

Start training now. Most normal Chinese kids (girls and boys) of 2.5 years are well out of diapers, whether they use in-ground squat, western throne, or the street gutter. You can always take along diapers or training pants as a back-up for those inevitable accidents. Assuming they have no developmental disabilities, many boys of 2+ are reasonably trainable. I think worries about "confusion" are overblown. As said above, HK where you'll likely be going will have mostly western toilets.

FWIW, Chinese potty training is often done by an interesting whistle training method. When child is learning to use potty (any configuration), parent gives a low, soft "lip whistle" simultaneous with the deed being done. After a while, said child-in-training goes on command when that special whistle is heard. I didn't believe it until I saw it work, multiple times with Chinese friends with toddlers. Eventually child of course doesn't need whistle prompt but gets the idea on its own.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

"I'm probably over-thinking this, "

Yes, I think you are. In that the facilities needed for changing nappies are not dissimilar to the facilities needed if someone has had an accident. Plus, as ThanksSocialSecurity has said – the facilities in Hong Kong have certainly improved in the last 25 years or so :-). And as there is a mall just about every kilometre or so in Hong Kong (exaggeration for effect just in case) there is plenty of opportunity for changing. Personally, I'd leave them in nappies though, because then it saves the embarrassment of accidents. Not that Hong Kong people will mind that much, but the kids might get upset :-).

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

HK is a world city ... I would say that coming across a squat toilet is long past (although, I'm sure some areas still have them).

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

The in-ground toilets are mostly legacy things. In Hong Kong I have not seen those around except in some old public toilets in recent years. Most buildings constructed in the last 3 decades (or even ealier) would use toilet bowls.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

>> most of the washroom facilities were in-ground toilets.

30 years ago, yes. Since then, no.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

Thank you so much for all of your responses. It's been about 25 years, so your replies are very helpful and much appreciated. Clearly, the memory of a 10-year old is not reliable, lol.

The whistle training method sounds interesting - much like the clicker-training for dogs. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers and Happy Holidays to all!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Potty Train before or after trip to Hong Kong?

Your memory as a 10-year old were very good! Those in-ground toilets were very common for buildings, especially public housing estates, built in the 60's and 70's, and probably spilled into the 80's. But as society moved forward, and living conditions improved, those in-ground toilet designs were phased out.