We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

nitink
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

Hi,

I am visiting HK for a 4 day period in MID MARCH

Wanted suggestions on following

1. Hotels which is child friendly, centrally located to cover most excursions. From TA got suggestions of Royal Plaza Family room, Hotel ICON and Langham Palace

2. Below is a tentative itinery with places I want to cover.

Day 1 - Ngong Ping + Disneyland

Day 2 - Science museum, Victoria Peak, Noah's Ark. Dinner around peak with HK skyline

Day 3 - Ocean Park with Temple St Night market

Day 4 - Shopping at Causeway bay, Tsim sha Tsui, Madam Tussads

Day 5 - Free for any other excursion which I may have missed in the above

What would be the best way of covering the above places. Is it a good idea to buy a pass like I-venture card or is a one in all tourist pass available for HK which can save us time & money.

Lastly travelling with a child and we have preference only for VEG Food so if anyone can provide insights into the food scene in HK and some popular places which serve VEG Food.

Thanks again and please give a detailed reply if possible.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

The best way to travel around HK is to use the many and excellent public transportation modes, such as the subway (MTR) and buses. Buy an Octopus card for each person in your party.

Chinese restaurants have many vegetarian options.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

Veggie options should be very easy to come by anywhere. Try going to Jumbo, which should definitely be entertaining for,a kid, as it is on a really cool boat, and you have to take a boat just to get to it. I have a feeling it was closed for renovations, so check. I guarantee your child will find it amazing. I think you should also visit the Yuen Po Street bird market, easy ot get to by metro. My kids really liked it, and you walk through the flower market to get there. My kids also really enjoyed the Star Ferry and Victoria Peak. The Star Ferry is really inexpensive and you can just do a round trip if you like. Kids also like the couble decker buses if you sit up top. My kids loved the very fragrant temple in the antiques section of HK, can't remember the name, but if you are window shopping in the area, which has tons of fascinating stuff to see,you will walk by the temple. As for hotels, we stayed at the Cosmopolitan. Excellent breakfast included , clean, nice staff, and frankly, it was about the only midpriced place we could afford! Have fun!

Edited: 06 January 2014, 20:33
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

>> Day 1 - Ngong Ping + Disneyland <<

You said you have a 4-day period but you listed 5 days. What time do you arrive on Day 1? I don't think you have enough time to do both Ngong Ping and Disneyland on your arrival day.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,423 posts
5,641 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

>>>>Day 2 - Science museum, Victoria Peak, Noah's Ark. Dinner around peak with HK skyline<<<<

This suggestion has you all over Hong Kong during the same day. I would skipping one of these to avoid spending much of the day travelling across the city from one attraction to the next. Perhaps move Noah's Ark to Day 5 as its the most isolated. Then you can leave the Hong Kong Science Museum and the Victoria Peak attractions for Day 2.

Also, keep in mind that Madame Tussaud is at the Peak so you should move this to Day 2 when you visit Victoria Peak.

Hope this is helpful

nitink
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

Hi,

I am actually flying to Macau first and coming to HK in the afternoon since check in at most hotels is 2 or 3 pm. I am flying out by late evening flight on Day 5 so its free day in morning after checkout

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

Then you definitely will not have enough time to do Ngong Ping and Disneyland both on Day 1. Time may be marginal even for visiting one of the two.

nitink
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

Hi Brad,

Thanks for that input. I will plan this as per your suggestion.

Any input on the Hotel and a I-venture card which can prepay for the attractions.

Thanks upfront

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
103 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

we stayed at hotel icon in a harbor view room, and were quite happy with the stay and facilities. The slightly off-center location is made up for by a free shuttle that will drop you to the star ferry pier among other stops.

agree with other opinions, specially with a kid, DL deserves a full day.

9. Re: Hong Kong 4 day trip with Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:22