We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Express / Octopus ?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Express / Octopus ?

I've been browsing this forum all afternoon and have ended up more confused than when I started! We will be arriving in HK in March, staying at the Sheraton Hong Kong and Towers on Nathan Road. My question is - we want to use the Airport Express both from and to the airport (for two adults) and no doubt will need to use local transport while in HK. What sort of ticket should we be thinking of buying? (apologies for this being yet another question on this subject, I thought I had worked out what to do but some comments seem to contradict others so I would appreciate any advice you could give.)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,535 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

Get the on-loan Octopus card. You can easily load more funds onto the card as needed.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,065 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

Think of the Octopus as being just like London's Oyster and you won't get confused.

Oxford
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

When you have got your bags at the airport there is a desk where you can buy the airport express ticket/card. If you buy the airport express pass that includes 3 days of MTR use it is $300 - you can go all around on the metro subway for 3 days then top up after that at any of the stations. Then when you go back to the airport, go back to the desk and they will refund $50 and any money you have not used

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

For your journeys to and from the airport you should get the Airport Express Group Ticket pack for 2 people, which saves money compared to using Octopus Card;

mtr.com.hk/eng/…promotions_4persons.html

Use Octopus Card for the rest of your travel in HK.

The Airport Express Travel Pass may be a suitable alternative, depending on how long you spend in HK and how much travelling on MTR you would make during your visit although cost savings, if any, would probably not be substantial.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 18:37
Oxford
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

Also - handy tip - if your flight home is in the evening like mine was, go to Hong Kong station (and I think they do it at Kowloon station but double check) and they have airline counter where you can check in your case and it goes off to the airport and onto the flight...just double check your airline has a desk at the station

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

Just but the Octopus card, its very simple & easy to use.

Unless you're really tight on a budget, its pointless trying to work out which option will save you 20p a day

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

Also check this out if they are suitable for you:

mtr.com.hk/eng/tourist/tourist_products.html

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

The reason you find different options/recommendations (as above) is that MTR markets a number of tourist products designed to cater to those who want a full "railpass" type card which involve pre-paying for unlimited rides. In order for those passes to make economic sense for the customer, you have to use the rail a lot, and most tourists don't use it that much. (This is why the MTR markets them -- they make economic sense for MTR!)

The Octopus card provides convenient use across a broad range of transport and fast-food options in HK. However, it does not provide any discount for the Airport Express. Therefore, in terms of cost, convenience, and full coverage of the needs you are likely to have, Solent's recommendation in #4 is the one I would endorse....Buying the discounted "Group of Two" ticket on the Airport Express plus Octopus cards for each member of the party gets you he convenience of the Octopus card, with savings of HK$40 each way (for two people -- more if there are more of you) off the full price for the Airport Express.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

For the Airport Express Travel Pass, the breakeven point for those alighting at Airport Express Kowloon Station, based on 2 travelling together, is HK$86 per person (and HK$66 for those alighting at AE Hong Kong Station).

Those tourist products are not "automatically" good deal but they can be good deal. It all depends on your planned activities whilst in H.K.

Some typical single adult fares for reference purpose - Tsim Sha Tsui to Causeway Bay, HK$10.70; Tsim Sha Tsui to Disney Resort, HK$18.30; Disney Resort to Causeway Bay, HK$23.30; and Tsim Sha Tsui to Mong Kok, HK$4.90; Tsim Sha Tsui to Shatin, HK$8.30.

10. Re: Airport Express / Octopus ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:21