We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can we do with our luggage ?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What can we do with our luggage ?

Hi , would be very grateful for ideas, suggestions please.... as we arrive into Hong Kong by cruise ship in March, have a private taxi to take us to the airport at 10.30 am when we have to be off the ship, but our B.A flight doesn't leave until late evening. What can we do ???) also anyone know what time check in opens? Thank you anticipation of your help.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

I suggest you have the taxi take you to the Airport Express Kowloon Station, where you can buy a ticket (group ticket for the two of you) to the airport. This would allow you to check in with BA and check your luggage at the Kowloon station. Then you can exit the station tour the city until it's time to get back to the airport. At which time you can go back to the Kowloon Station and take the Airport Express train to HKIA.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,750 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

There is no reason to go to the airport that early then. You can either head to Hong Kong or Kowloon station, then purchase Airport Express train tickets that let you board the train later in the evening. With the purchase of an AE ticket, you can use city check-in and drop your bags off with BA right away. BA flights leave around 11:30pm (+ or - 15 minutes usually depending on which flight and the season) so get on the train at either station before 10pm. It takes under 30 minutes to get to the airport.

If you don't think you want to use the train to the airport, then there is luggage storage facilities available at both Hong Kong and Kowloon station for a fee.

If you want to stick with the private taxi and go to the airport first, then you can store your luggage at the airport for a fee as well and then come back to the city to visit.

Once you get that sorted out, you can then think about what you want to do during your few hours in HK. Check out the Top Questions box at the right side of the forum. Be sure to read the Layovers threads.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

I think using the Airport Express to check-in early in-town suggested by TSS and Sammyfloyd would make the most sense. It doesn't make sense to me to: take the private taxi to the airport (pay for it), store your luggage at the airport (pay for it), turn around and take another taxi to come back to the center of town to sight see (pay for it), and then in the evening get another taxi to go to the airport (pay for it). You would be paying four-ways instead of one (plus some small fares for short taxi rides).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

baggage storage at HK/Kowloon station is not cheap - 55HKD/pc for 3+ hrs, while Airport Express fare is only 100 or less one way.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,235 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

Depending on what you want to do in HK you could even take the taxi to HK Island and check-in to HK Station Airport Express & then go to the Peak or Stanley or Causeway Bay etc, ride the Dingding Tram, Star Ferry etc...

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

Can I still leave my luggage at the station if I am not flying BA? My flight is to Guilan with Hong Kong Airways.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

ChrisandCol:

You should be okay. "Hong Kong Airlines" (I think that's their business name) is listed a participating airline for in-town check-in with Airport Express train:

Check this link:

mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_around/images/itci.pdf

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

Thanks so much. I will probably have heaps more questions as I have just started looking. Spending 5 days at the start of April before a 28 day tour of China. Some say 5 days is to much but I am starting to think I have not allowed enough by reading TA.

wales
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

Thank you all for your suggestions and excellent advice. I will ley you know what we end up doing on our return the the beginning of April.

10. Re: What can we do with our luggage ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:18