We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cathay pacific and nut allergy

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
cathay pacific and nut allergy

Hi all,

If you suffer from a nut allergy, and have flown with Cathay Pacific (to Hong Kong), did you have any problems with your allergic reaction?

I am aware of their policies and the information on the website (nut-free cabin etc), but did anyone suffer any type of reaction regardless of this? (severe or mild)

did you have a nut-free cabin and encounter any problems?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

Pardon my ignorance, as I have no such allergies. By nut-free cabin, do you mean the whole flight does not serve nuts at all? Would someone get allergies from merely breathing in scents from nuts?

Sorry for asking more questions rather than helping with answers. All I know is, you can choose your preferred type of meal when you check in online.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

I don't have the allergy either, but I do know that in some severe cases they would get sick just from scents from nuts.

I have flown Cathay many times and they always have bags of peanuts (I love those) for snacks mid flight. So I don't see how it can be nut free. On their web site they do specify that they cannot provide a nut free environment.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 02:25
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

Asian airlines are usually not the best to fly for those with severe nut allergies--of the sort that even breathing peanut scent (as opposed to ingesting the nut) would send one into anaphalaxis.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

Yep @ Glacierfed, for some allergies to such as nuts, can be life-threatening when they lead to anaphylaxis-even from scent of nuts.

I know this as two of my nephews has a condition known as G6PD- the scent of moth ball can also be a source of stress of infection to cause-and they are allergic to fava beans. Yep, when they were small, I was told , check toilets first before bringing them into it for moth ball(as some people use,do not know why, moth bath in the urinal latrine).

Well,maybe time for some airlines to enforce like haha, no frill airlines- AirAsia- no outside food is allowed for consumption, all must buy from AirAsia.

And all airlines maybe relook at their meals again...well Malaysian Airlines, possibly knowing about prevalence of nut allergy-- they took away nut from their nasi lemak..and a well known Malaysian chef termed it as naked nasi lemak.

To OP, I hope your(or travelling party members) allergy to nut can be addressed objectively with Cathay Pacific prior to your flight so some mitigating measures could be effectively taken, like in meals, or smell of nuts..and when you are holidaying in Hong Kong, everyone has a smooth and pleasant great time,and dietary requirement to address this allergy is also addressed during meal times in eating places...though the use of peanut oil is ever prevalent in Chinese cuisine.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

OP should consult the airline and get official confirmation instead of asking here. If you want to ask the travelling public, post on dedicated travel forums such as flyertalk. Many of the posters there travel on CX hundreds of times a year.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 04:06
australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

im referring to the class (e.g. economy) being nut-free. there's info on their website that this may be done. Im just curious as to how many nut allergy sufferers found this effective, or if they travelled on CX, and had any issues with nuts.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,378 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

Doesn't CX's website specifically state they can't guarantee anything nut-free (cabins, lounges, meals, etc):

cathaypacific.com/cx/…peanut-allergy.html

Nuts are often give out as snacks while on-board. Nobody can guarantee where the nuts might end up due to passenger spillage.

Policies-aside, from a practical perspective, most airlines probably face the same issues.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 03:21
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

For the most part, nut or peanut/legume allergies in Asians are so rare that most are baffled by the idea that something like this even exists. Most airlines that are based in the Asian countries can't guarantee a nut-free atmosphere whether they serve such products themselves or not (most do), as control of individual passengers and what they bring on board just isn't practical.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

Even if an airline were to specify that their cabin is nut free, how could they stop any traveller bringing a packet of peanuts on board with them

I cannot see how any such policy could ever be enforced

10. Re: cathay pacific and nut allergy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:18