We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel with easy access to airport express stops

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,885 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
hotel with easy access to airport express stops

First, I apologize for asking the typical where to stay question!

I will be visiting Hong Kong for just a day and a half, and to maximize my touring time I would like to stay at a hotel within walking distance of Kowloon or Hong Kong stations. My departure is late at night, so I would like to get my bag from the hotel and be able to just walk to the train right away.

Here's the problem. My preferred budget is 120USD a night, but I know there are not many options. However, I am willing to spend up to 300USD if you can suggest a hotel that will be worth the money, either bc of location, view or quality of the room.

I do know that those main stations have check in counters and I could just check my bags early on departure day, but I always carry on to avoid customs delays upon entering the US. Any other ideas are welcomed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

Just google " hotel closest to Kowloon MRT Station " ie... & search for one to suit your budget.

agoda.com/en-au/…hong-kong-hk.html

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

Frankly I don't see why you need to stay near an Airport Express station. The choices are limited and they are usually way above your budget. Why can't you just take a taxi to one of the stations? Or find a hotel within the free shuttle routes? Or find a hotel along one of the airport bus routes? You are really limiting yourself if you only look at hotels within walking distance.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

>> I would like to stay at a hotel within walking distance of Kowloon or Hong Kong stations. <<

I don't think there is a need for this requirement.

Within walking distance to Kowloon Station, only Ritz Carlton and W. Both of which are far above your target budget range. Similarly, Hong Kong Station - Four Seasons, and maybe Mandarin Oriental, also on very high range. There are other lower range hotels with a farther walking distance... but...

Hong Kong is very small and public transportation very convenient. Just take a taxi (to save time, stay on the Kowloon side) to the airport. You will reach the airport in about 30 minutes.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

Agree with the others. You will not make it with the budget.

Consider a taxi for the trip to the airport. Takes not much more time for the trip late evening.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

The problem....just to amplify a bit on what the others have said.....is that the Airport Express line was built in the 1990s after the city was already densely developed. To avoid having to take lots of private land for stations, the stations were built on new government-owned land, obtained by reclamation from the harbor. As a result, the only things really within walking distance of the stations are the large shopping malls built on top of them (to maximize land value) and a few very expensive top-end hotels. The more reasonably-priced hotels are farther away, in older districts.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,885 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

Since I only have limited time to visit, I try to be as efficient as possible and avoid having to wait for shuttles or taxis. But perhaps taking a taxi will not make much of a difference.

Thanks for your advice.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

Taking a taxi from either Kowloon or Hong Kong AE station is easy and NOT time consuming.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

Taxis are plentiful in Hong Kong. They are just everywhere. From the Kowloon areas, going to the airport is about 30 minutes or so.

9. Re: hotel with easy access to airport express stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:18