I am visiting Hong Kong (1st time) with family - my wife and 2 kids aged 4 and 10. Would be reaching from Delhi (India) on the morning of 2nd of June, reaching 6:50 AM. I would be staying at the Hotel Royal Park, Sha Tin. This place has a Family Room which I needed and got me good rates online, also has good reviews. Understand Sha Tin is a bit away from the HK sights, but basis reviews on this site believe that HK public transport is really efficient and should not be a problem. Anyhow, I am checked in for 6 nights so would check out on June 8, 650 PM flight. Needed some assistance from the wonderful travel experts on how to structure the days. I don't want to cover anything and everything, so would prefer a more relaxed tourney.
1) I reach early on Monday, June 2 and think the hotel room will not be available before 2 PM, maybe 11AM/12PM if I am able to coax them. I plan to do Bfast at the Airport Arrival hall itself and then maybe take a Taxi to my hotel. I also plan to buy and Octopus Card.
a) Would that be available at the airport?
b) Would I need 1 for everyone including my kids
c) So, how does it work, they would add specific amount to the card and there would also be a refundable amount on each card. What places can we top up the card? There's also a day pass - I saw it on the MTR website, does it make sense to use: mtr.com.hk/eng/tourist/tourist_products.html
Also, once I drop my bags if the room is still not available (or available), what places can we cover, the reason is I don't want Day 1 to go waste. Since it’s a DIY trip, I am open to visiting anything, should I cover the city lights/
2) Day 2 – June 3 (Tuesday) - Disneyland (guess will take the entire day). What route you suggest from Sha Tin and way back. I would want to see the fireworks at the day end. Would transport be available from Disney at say 8 PM. I won’t fuss if we have to do the Taxi option but if time taken would largely be the same, I am open to using the MTR network everywhere considering Sha Tin station is very near to my hotel.
3) Day 3 – June 4 (Wednesday) – Lantau island do the NP360 and the Giant Buddha and see the villages. How much time is ok to be spent there and what is the best time to reach. Also, what else can I combine with if I am visiting Lantau
4) Day 4 – June 5(Thu) – Ocean park, unless people in the forum suggest doing either of the 2 theme parks. I reckon I am visiting so as well do it. Believe it will take the entire day. Suggestions on how to reach and comeback
5) Day 5 – June 6 (Fri) – Not sure, maybe see the peak, tram ride (although have read a lot about the long queues) and combine with anything else. I also want to do the Chi Lin Nunnery (especially try the veg food there) and Nian Lian Gardens
6) Day 6 – June 7 (Sat) – Open
7) Day 7 – June 8 (Sun)- 1st half open
I would in all these like to definitely see the Kowloon area, My hotel has shuttles to TST so would cover that, the Ladies market, temple market, Causeway Bay, Repulse Bay – I just need suggestions on what to combine when. And yes, can I do Macau, is it good enough for a day trip and would the kids enjoy.
We are all vegetarians (or let me say eggetarians), so I know we would have an issue so suggest good areas near my hotel where we could find food more on the veggie lines. We are not so gung-ho on Indian food per say (again where all we can find that), and are fond of Oriental or American or Italian cuisine but veggie or veggie+egg. Infact, my hotel has a Shopping center smack in front and I plan to visit for my breakfast (Since its not included in my hotel rates and I guess at $150+taxes per person, I can get better options.
Finally, I understand online rates are cheaper, is that true and also I believe, Ocean park should be considered under Clear weather which means I cannot plan it in advance considering no one can predict the HK weather, pls suggest, what tickets are better bought online.
So, there is it Dear Fellow Trip Advisors, looking for help on structuring. The focus is on kids enjoyment + some shopping + relaxation as well.