We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year - which area?

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
419 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese New Year - which area?

I have been to HKK twice for short visits.

We shall be arriving on a cruise staying overnight (two days).

We plan to stay 2 further days in HKK visiting Macau for the day & then our last day we will need to get to the airport (preferrably by public transport).

Which area should we look to stay in which will give us easy access to the Ferry for Macau & then the airport?

I believe that it will be New Year two days after we leave, should we change our return flights not to miss the New Year seeing that it is so close?

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year - which area?

Most things are shut over the New Year. Not a good time to be there.

London
Level Contributor
447 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese New Year - which area?

Family run shops are closed on the 1st day of the Lunar (Chinese) New Year, all the big company shops/stores/restaurants will be open as usual but at a later time around midday.

Public transport will still be running so you will still be able to visit places likes Ocean Park and Disneyland but it will be very very busy.

Ferry to Macau from Tsim Sha Shui (TST) Kowloon side or Sheung Wan HK Island side but TST will be very busy as the New Year parade take place in that area.

Best areas to stay with a short taxi ride to the Airport Express stations are Mong Kok, Yau Ma Tei, Jordan Kowloon side and Central, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay HK Island side.

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
419 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese New Year - which area?

Thanks.

I am not very good with huge crowds & I know HKK is crowded normally.

I therefore think that it might be too over whelming for me.

The question is, would I be missing something very very special if I don't stay for New Year?

We are actually scheduled to leave two days before.

I would therefore ask again, which is my best area for Macau & Airport?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,733 posts
5,777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese New Year - which area?

kaneda

>>>Most things are shut over the New Year<<<<

This is not accurate. Please check the Top Question (FAQ) on the right hand side of this forum. You will see from many past discussions what to expect in Hong Kong during CNY. As far as visitors to HK are concerned, all important attractions, most restaurants and more than enough shops are open in Hong Kong during Chinese New Year these days.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese New Year - which area?

The days just before the new year are great. Flower markets, new year markets, lots of seasonal stuff elsewhere.

For location, anywhere in the urban areas is fine. Hong Kong isn't that big, transport is quick and convenient. Ferries to Macau from two piers (China Ferry Pier in Tsim Sha Tsui, Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan).

6. Re: Chinese New Year - which area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:18