We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bromley
Level Contributor
203 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

So I thought I had narrowed my choice to 3 hotels but none will do - so back to square 1 and needing help!! We are staying 6-9 august, have 5 adults (3 teens) so require 2 rooms, with myself and wife in a double and the kids in a triple (they will not share a bed) or twin with foldaway. Have chosen to stay in Kowloon, require a hotel with a pool, hopefully view of bay, oh and budget is £1200 (15,000 hkd)...that's it. I've gone through over 40 hotels with no success....my short listed 3 the Madera has no pool, the Intercontinental GS will not guarantee a twin and the Mira has tiny rooms with glass shower screen (no good for the kids).....please any ideas gratefully accepted as I'm exhausted and my brain is about to fry!!

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Have you tried the Salisbury ?

Bromley
Level Contributor
203 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Actually I hadn't, and it looks like a great call....have sent an email and as they have twin suites it may just work!, thanks v much!

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

It is a great place to stay - and has all the facilities that you would need. Hope it works out for you

4. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 18:10
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Hello again,

Without trying to complicate things further, just a quick curiosity question that I hadn't asked on your previous thread. Criteria's of pool, two rooms, and £1200 aside, what exactly was your methodology in choosing the original three? You mentioned searching hundreds of hotels, but there were some fairly obvious family choices that were omitted - and more if you were flexible with your location.

I'm only asking, as you selected three quite different styled hotels, you previously didn't have Kowloon as the only location, and now you're considering a very good, but totally different styled option again.

Going by the above suggestion, you're looking at a minimum of;

2 x Premium Standard Twin Room (23sqm) PLUS a Rollaway Bed IF they allow it, OR

1 x Premium Stabdard Twin Room, PLUS 1 x Premium Family Suite

All up, between £660 (plus rollaway fee) ~ £920 depending on which combination you end up choosing.

In comparison...

*** Royal Plaza

1 x Deluxe Family Double Room, PLUS 1 x Deluxe King Room at £796 total (5 Star, 32sqm)

*** Harbour Grand Hong Kong

2 x Superior Twin Harbour View Rooms, PLUS Rollaway at £792 total (5 Star, 31sqm)

*** Harbour Grand Kowloon

2 x Twin Room Courtyard View Rooms, PLUS Rollaway at £745 total (5 Star, 36sqm)

*** Langham Place Mongkok

1 x Vital Place King Room, PLUS 1 x Vital Place Twin PLUS Rollaway at £760 total (5 Star, 26sqm)

And even...

*** The Langham

2 x Superior Twin Harbour View PLUS Rollaway at £1150 total (Top End 5 Star, 32sqm)

I would completely understand that you may not wish to push the very limits of your budget, and the suggested aren't all in Kowloon, but I'm simply suggesting them, so you can get a snapshot of what you *could* get in comparison. By the time you pay for a Rollaway Bed (again if they permit it) at the Salisbury, the difference in price between there and the others is minimal.

So when all things considered - be sure when you're reading reviews, to filter family specific reviews - Id much rather a 5 Star product, than a 3-3.5 Star product for near similar prices.

Just my $0.02 minus tax

Edited: 15 May 2014, 18:22
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Linking to the original thread - tripadvisor.com.au/…58299477

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Hi,

How about Hyatt Regency or Sheraton ?

And in fact,just slightly above your GBP1500 by GBP150- Intercontinental Salisbury--a gem

Bromley
Level Contributor
203 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Dear KVE1005 thanks for your post and yes I had previous looked at all those hotels except the Mongkok one. I am not sure where you got your prices from but I had the Harbour grand HK at £1000-£1300 for a harbour view, plus I preferred the Int GS, the royal plaza is #48 TA with some pretty bad reviews. The langham rates are £1500 min for my stay without extra bed.... I also see low rates like these on Agoda etc but when you add in extras and get a decent room the cost is always pretty spot on with hotel direct rates.......

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Hello jcd,

I have access to software that can effectively scan however many distribution channels I wish, and then narrows down sites within certain parameters - which in this case was for direct contracted third party OTA's, dates, rates, four star minimum, multiple locations, and payment conditions.

The rates I quoted above have current parity between Expedia and Booking.com.

They do not match the hotels website, as they are 'non refundable' rates, but all of them are still valid as of ten minutes ago, through their respective websites.

You've mentioned the review ratings about the Royal Plaza. Whilst I'm certainly not stating that it is the best there is, I believe it provides value. In addition, I would not put so much focus on the 'ranking' as these are manipulated by an undisclosed algorithm here on TA.

Just to give you an example, in my home city, the so called number one hotel - I've never heard of before.

However, if you wish to give credibility to those numbers, then perhaps you may like to reconsider both the content, substance and the overall maths.

Of the 75 unfavourable reviews - out of 1345 (which means 1270 good and excellent reviews) - the first five worst reviews were complaints for - no poolside shower, decor, dislike of a restaurant manager, did not get an upgrade, bad odours. Between those reviewers, they have a grand total of 12 reviews of which two were written by first and only posters.

As for getting decent rooms, when rates are quoted for any recommendation on the forums, it's usually the lead in rate (the starting rate), unless specified. Higher room types was not something you mentioned as one of your criteria's.

But having said all that, it's absolutely subjective, and entirely your prerogative if you wish to pay the same for a five star product, and a three star product. It's most important you feel comfortable with your selection.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 10:08
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going crazy with finding hotel - please help

Late add.

I just wish to add that my recommendation was to suggest anything lesser of the Salisbury YMCA. Although I've never been to that property, it looks like a really decent product