We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Hello everyone,

Me & my sister will be arrived to HongKong on May 24,from Macau (10am).

This is our visit in Hong Kong.

We'll ready to start our journey in HongKong by 11am.

Start point: Central

Our hotel: Ibis North Point.

First day goals: Laptop/notebook & clothes shopping,buy a luggage

Destination:

-City Gate Factory Outlet-Tung Chung (how long is the trip from Central to Tung Chung?),

-Windsor House (Causeway Bay),

-Wan Chai Computer Center&298 Computer Zone (Wan Chai)

-MongKok computer center

-Sham Shui Po: New Capital Computer Plaza + Golden Computer Arcade + Golden Shopping

Which computer center is the best for buying cheap notebook (with good quality)^^?

If we want to check in to our hotel by 2pm, which place we should go first & any recommended restaurant/foodcourt to get lunch?

We've tried to make some itineraries,but in our itinerary, we will back to hotel by 11pm, exclude tourist attractions :(.

We need some helps& suggestions about itinerary Day 1 please.

Thank you very much for your time

& suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Golden Computer Arcade
Golden Computer Arcade
128 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Central Market
Flea & Street Markets
Starstreet Precinct
Gift & Speciality Shops
Limestone
Gift & Speciality Shops
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,503 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Tung Chung is a long way to go. I suggest you save that for another day. Concentrate on HK Island, near your hotel. There is no need to go to three different computer centers Just go to the Wan Chai one.

Cheap but good, yes I have been looking for that too. But I think you'll have to choose one or the other, either cheap or good, but not both.

Mentioned in this post
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

If we switch CityGate FO to second day, is there any recommended place in HK Island (mall/market)that sell good fashions with great discount?

We put Tung Chung in First Day itinerary because each of us only packed 2-3pairs of clothes for our 4D(Hong Kong)+1D(Macau)trip & we are sharing 1 backpack :D

Another question is: we are looking for a luggage, which market in HK Island that sell luggages?

Mentioned in this post
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Macau
Macau
China
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,503 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

There are plenty of clothing shops in Wanchai. I don't find Tung Chung has that much discounts.

Mentioned in this post
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Hi,

OK, with backpack from Macau, arriving into HK Macao Ferry terminal.

Personally, unless you plan to be going to Ngong Ping,please do not go all the way out to City Gate mall.

Luggage- in fact the dept stores, like Sogo, Wing On, AEON--have good buys already.

Have you got a laptop in mind already- RAM, processor, screen size, storage size, type of storage, keyboard configuration etc.

YOU must have this focus in your mind..otherwise you will be easily swayed with the myriad of laptops in the market,and more so salesman/lady talk.

You could google for some guideline articles on,such as :-

which.co.uk/technology/…

Those places you mentioned are good,if you know what you are looking for already.

Know the price in your home country.

These days, such things and pricing policy of brands, plus the factor of regional warranty or international warranty comes into play.

For that lunch, well few doors away from Ibis North Point,there are a few local eateries,and of course the food court..do not worry too much on this..plenty of eateries,as always in HK..check out open rice.

Well, which items you want to buy first--clothes,then luggage for clothes,then laptop/notebook.

There are quite a few shops close to Wanchai computer centre that sells outlet type of clothes, or even going to Causeway Bay-as you have Windsor House, check out Jardine's Crest, oh Forever 21..think this place opens until 1am too..so no need to be back to hotel at 11pm.

So I guess, once out of HK Macao Ferry terminal, just head to Causeway Bay, and you can get all three items-and may even find postponing your check in at Ibis North Point to later than 2pm.

(just call them to ..haha to hold your room until arrival as Dee sudah gila shopping in Causeway Bay..haha).

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Hi,

My sister is looking for Lenovo / Dell Laptop in Hong Kong. if we want to buy in MongKok / Sham Shui Po areas, do we have to bargain or they will give us a fix price?

How about the price they offered? do they offer very high price (like things in Ladies Market) / reasonable price?

Thank you.

@ ThanksSocialSecurity,

thank you for the information, we will alocated more time to explore clothing shops in Wan Chai.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Hi,

well for Dell, like always,

visit their website, and you have the prices already:-

http://www.dell.com/hk/en/p/laptops?ref=hp1

And for Lenovo,well, here is a good source,and in fact they have a shop in Windsor House and also at Wanchai computer centre:-

shop.vertexhk.com/laptops/lenovo-laptops

Only when you know the price, you bargain..it is like do not know price of rice, start to bargain.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
8,024 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Tung Chung is a good half hour on the MTR from Kowloon Station (next to Central Station). Not too bad, but quite a trip just to go visit a shopping mall.

Mentioned in this post
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Hi,

@ mKiara,

thank you very...much for the link. It helps my sister to decide what laptop she will buy.

@wvmale,

thank you for the information about MTR estimate time,

I think we need to go there because in our country, Bossini & Giordano, Adidas etc are quite expensive, (190 - 299k IDR on 20-30%discount, unless they have 70-80% discount sale). many indonesian bloggers say that Tung Chung is a good deal / place for clothes shopping.

as mKiara said, we do Love shopping & Hong Kong is one of 10 Shopping Paradise in the world,

hehe

Mentioned in this post
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Hi all,

It is very interesting to read many people write their holiday report. I would like to sharing my first time visiting HK experience too.

My original Day 1 itinerary is:

10 am: Ferry from Macau (arrived)

10-11.00: immigration process, buy octopus card, AETP single,& phone SIM card, transfer from Ferry pier to MTR station.

11-11.45: West / East Li Yuen street market (looking for a luggage)

12.00-13.30: Wan Chai computer center + clothes shopping

13.30-14: Wan Chai - North Point (by tram, to see where is the Windsor House,Causeway Bay).

2-2.30 pm: hotel check in

2.30-5 pm: Windsor House

5-5.30 pm: Causeway Bay - MongKok

5.30-8 : MongKok Computer Center

8-8.30 : Dinner (@ MongKok)-optional

8.30-8.45: MongKok » Sham Shui Po

8.45-10.30: Golden Computer Arcade + Golden Shopping Center & New Capital computer Plaza (+ Apliu window shopping-if time permit)

10.30-11 pm: Sham Shui Po >> North Point.

D2: go to the park/join Indonesian Church ceremony, Snoopy's World (having lunch @ New Town Plaza), The Peak + Maddame Tussauds, Sneaker street (+ looking for Koi Kei branch in HK), Tung Chung, Symphony of Light. Window shopping in Wan Chai, sleep early to recharge the energy for Disneyland full day.

D3: Disneyland

D4 (11am): having flight to Singapore

That was our ideal itinerary about activities in HongKong.

The reality is not very smooth.

We only have 1,5 day to do in Hong Kong (because we're late arriving form Macau) + 1 full day in Disneyland

D1 (Sat,24):

2.05 pm :arriving from Macau (by Turbojet Ferry).

2.05-2.45: immigration process, window shopping @ Sun Tak Pier & Sheung wan MTR (Aji Ichiban store, Seven-11, etc).

2.45: buy Octopus Card & Airport Express Travel Pass (Single). After I pay 2 cards, the CS staff only give the Octopus Card, she forget to give my AETP card, so there's 1-2 minutes blank, we wait & stare each other.

2.48-3.20 (32 minutes): Sheung Wan -» Hotel (Ibis North Point).

Walk slowly, follow the signs, asking the direction to the Customer Service for couple times, enjoy the MTR station,etc.

3.20-4: Check in room, drop our stuffs, charging phones, etc.

4-8 pm: LOST in HONG KONG (causeway bay actually)

The first thing we do is: buy a SIM card for BlackBerry to make international call to Indonesia. We buy 1 SIM card @ 7-11 near to our hotel.(One2 Free, for 100 HKD)unfortunately, we can't use it.

Once we EXIT Causeway Bay Station, we saw SOGO, Sasa, Bonjour, Etude House, and hundreds (or maybe thousands people, the road is very very very crowded, we are a little bit shock & surprised), and everybody is walking on high speed. We ask some people about Windsor House's location they are always giving differents direction. As we see many people crossing the street, we are loosing our focus easily. We were keep walking around, I guess we were walk through the Patterson street. we're getting hungry & looking for local restaurant/ street food that cheap but we can't find one. We saw Hana Restaurant & outdoor foodcourt there, finally we go to AEON supermarket & having early dinner @ Osaka Osho (1 rice, some ebi furai, 1 hass brown potato, miso soup, grilled pork, & 6 Gyosa + free ocha for $81)food taste is good, but the service time is too long :( we bought some mineral water in AEON because our hotel didn't provide drink & we surprised to know that we should pay 50 cent for a plastic bag.

6pm already, we canceled to go to Windsor House,& we went into SOGO to have a look, it's VERY CROWDED too, they have 3Day BIG Sale. My sister is very happy to find DIOR cosmetic set with best price (much cheaper than in Singapore).We go to Level 9. We are looking a luggage, but there are still too expensive for us (above 1.300 HKD).

We also go to Sasa, Bonjour & colormix. As we walking, we saw One2Free store, we try to get information & check our new SIM card there & the staff said that the card we buy is unable to make international call, just for local number. We feel sorry for the 100HKD then. We continue walking, see apple & Iphone store and do window shopping for a while, my sister is interesting with gadget & laptop stuffs. We continue again, & we saw a "3" SIM Card Store, we try to get information is the "3" card can make a phone call to Jakarta? and he say "YES" we bought 1 (198HKD), quite expensive, so we had spent 298HKD for SIM card.he teach us how to dial the phone number.

8.10pm: the Symphony of Light is supposed to be played now somewhere out there,& here we are in Causeway Bay <only have 2 mineral water & DIOR :( >, what to do next?, we haven't buy clothes for tomorrow, the fashion stores in Causeway Bay looks like very expensive.

Desperately, we decided to go to Tung Chung. We're fast learners, we walk in hury too ^^ although we aren't familiar with the MTR line interchange, we're afraid that by the time we get there, the mall is closed already.

8.10-8.45: Causeway bay » Tung Chung.(35 min)

8.47-9.35: Tung Chung

YES, by the time we reach CityGate Outlet, 60% stores closed (NIKE, Adidas, Samsonite, Kipling, I.T, etc). Giordano is still open their store, but we couldn't find nice T-shirt to buy, and the price, after calculating to IDR currency is not very cheap as we expected. Maybe we have been wrong in budgeting/expecting that Hong Kong is cheap for fashion/clothes shopping. We looking for branded items that had GREAT sale (35-70 HKD/ 52.500-105.000 IDR ^^).

We are lucky, Fortress@ City Gate is still open too,my sister find Lenovo E145 11" (2.991 HKD-that's fit in her budget, but the problem is: the display unit is the only one they have, & E145 series is discontinued already in HK). We don't bought that laptop because we're unsure about its quality & condition because it was the last unit and we don't know how long it have been displaying there.

9.38-10.07 (29 min):Tung Chung » Hong Kong Station

10.07-10.15 (8 min): transfer from HK to Central.

10.17-10.29 (12 minutes) : Central » North Point.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Golden Computer Arcade
Golden Computer Arcade
128 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Aji Ichiban
Aji Ichiban
8 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tung Chung & Laptop hunting, itinerary suggestion please

Day 2 (Sunday,25):

08.25- ± 9.15:

North Point » Admiralty » Yau Ma Tei » Kowloon Tong >> Sha Tin

We are very excited to having many interchange lines.

Snoopy's World operation hours: 11.00-19.00, we arrived too early.

09.15-10.00:

-photos @ Exit area

-breakfast @ KFC ($26,40): tomato pasta soup n hot coffee.

10-11:

Shopping in "Park n Shop". Buy some chocolates for gift. Almond Toblerone is the newest flavor,we never seen it before.

11-12: back to Snoopy's World, take photos.

12-12.30: Sha Tin >> Mong kok.

12.30-13.30: Mong Kok:

- buy 4 T-Shirt about Hong Kong = 100HKD

- walking around, see some shops sell woman blouse, Shirt,pants for 5-15 HKD. (We didn't buy because doubt about its quality)

- see some NIKE & Adidas stores, but the price is not very cheap (we expecting can buy a sport shoes/apparels for 100-200 HKD).

We are wondering, is that Ladies Market & sneaker street? We don't see the street name's signs.

13.05-15: having lunch @ Chuen Cheung Kui restaurant.

- it is pricey: 289HKD (Fried salangidae, sweet prawn, pork belly with tofu & vegetables, 1 bowl rice).

- the CCK is more suitable for groups/ family, not for 2 person.

- it has good reviews as the best hakka restaurant, but we will not recommend it, especially for budget traveller :)

- the service time is too long, we thought that they forget our pork belly order as our fish & prawn is getting cold already, & we almost finished our rice.

15-17.30 :

-Mong Kok Computer Center, Broadway, Fortress & Cotton On.

My cancel to bu laptop.

We buy one 8GB USB (48HKD)

My sister buy Cotton On shoes on sale ($150 - buy 1 get 1).

18-22.15: CityGate Tung Chung.

The Nike & Adidas are not cheap as we expected. The special price they offered: 240-789 HKD.(the ratio is the same to Indonesia. The normal price = 900.000-1.400.000, special price discount: 300k-800k IDR).

- We buy some T-Shirt (small size) very cheap only 49-59 HKD. We're very happy for that.

- we also buy 1 Samsonite Luggage (779 HKD).

- my sister get Armani X winter coat on sale (200HKD) & hair straightener.

22.15-23.00: Tung Chung-North Point.

Day 3 (Monday,26):

We can't speak Mandarin fluently & we want to eat porridge for breakfast, so my sister is doing google search for chinese letter & screen capture. I show that picture to the restaurant staff & I buy 1 bowl pork & (black egg that looks like mushroom)porridge for 18HKD (@Taste Fresh restaurant), take away and enjoy in our room. We enjoy the porridge with enjoying harbour view from our window, and the porridge feels like $50, not $18 anymore ^^.

8.25-9. : North Point ~» Tsing Yi.

Its Monday morning & Central-Hong Kong is very full with all working people, & we almost follow the wrong group of people, as we see they are tapping the octopus, then we realized that is the EXIT :p

Our MTR is not going to Sunny Bay. Its stop at Tsing Yi, and all of passenger had to get out from the train, and wait for another MTR.

10-22.20: DISNEYLAND ^o^

We had Fish Burger & fruits salad for our lunch (108+28 = $136). The last show & ride we played is Golden Mickey & Winnie the Pooh (7.25pm). The Main Street USA already full, but we are so lucky can get the third row. The view of fireworks is great. Before the firework start, we are hungry, want to buy some popcorns but we are afraid that our seat will be taken by someone. After the firework show we did the last minutes shopping, the shop is very crowded, everyone is doing the same, the cashier queue is very very long. We finished shopping @ Disneyland untill there is one gate still open, another entry gate is close. We are starving at that time, my sister is having a headache.

We reached North Point ± 23.00, we eat Wonton Noodle in a local restaurant near to Ibis Hotel. We shared the table with one man. Wonton Noodle = 23HKD.

Our tips to budget traveller who visiting Disneyland: it is better to have your dinner before the firework show, or buy burger/pancake/ some snacks to eat while waiting the show, so you wouldn't be very hungry.

Mentioned in this post
Tsing Yi
Tsing Yi
44 Reviews
Hong Kong, China