We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover at Hong Kong Airport

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
Layover at Hong Kong Airport

I will have a long layover at Hong Kong International Airport (11 am to 4 pm). Any advice if I want to get a feel of the city? (My passport has immigration clearance.) I was checking the tours for transit passengers, but I think I will miss them by an hour because of the timing. So I have to be on their own. Ngong Ping 360 is in my list already, want to know whether I will can add anything else given the timeframe.

And do cab drivers in Hong Kong accept visa and master cards, like Singapore? I am not sure if getting a lot of HKD cash for the short stay will be a good idea. Thanks.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 08:36
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

Hi,

sorry cab drivers in HK prefer cash.

You can use the ATM to get cash at the airport.

You can sell your HKD at your next country destination mah.

Hmm, with Ngong Ping..depends on cable car queue,not sure you have much time, then to feel the vibes..take the airport express into Hong Kong station(can use credit card)

Five hours layover is really not long lah.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 09:17
london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

11 am to 4.00pm is only 5 hours. By the time you disembark and get through immigration you could be looking at the best part of an hour. Then to get the airport express into the city is about 25 mins with a wait time of maybe 10 minutes - so you are now down to 3.5 hours. .

You will need to allow 30 minutes to get back from the City to the airport and at the least another 45 minutes to get through security, so that is another 75 minutes gone - so now you have just over 2 hours and the airline will start to board you about 30 mins before take off, if not before.

By my estimation from your original 5 hours that you thought you had, I reckon you may get a max of 90 mins in the city

Edited: 20 May 2014, 09:21
Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

Thanks.

Yeah, considering all the time wasted in waiting, this is not that much. But I felt that even the train rides can give me some feel. Anyway, it is too long to spend at the airport but not long enough to see around comprehensively. Now I am at a dilemma, should I travel to the city or the Ngong ping cable car.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

I wouldn't do Ngong Ping. You risk getting stuck in the mountain not knowing how long the queue is coming back down, and taxis may not be readily available when you need it.

For HK$100, you can get on the train to Hong Kong Station and back to the airport. It is up to you whether it is worth it for the hour or so you get to spend in the city.

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

Thanks for the caution. From the MTR website, the airport express seems to be a better idea. Certainly I will avail it, whatever time I get in the city.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

With the time available to you, you might just be able to squeeze in a trip up the Peak and a ride on the star ferry before getting a cab to Kowloon Station to pick up the Airport Express back to the the airport. I doubt that you will have time for anything else

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

5 hours may seem long to you, but it is really not much time. As Steve pointed out, take an hour off the beginning, and an hour off the end. 3 hour is the maximum you have. And likely less.

Visiting Ngong Ping is really impossible. The transportation, even with taxi, will take 1 hour each way. Leaving you with 1 hour max to tour... and you are betting on that you can get a taxi on your return trip when you are ready to leave.

3 hours for the Peak is also very iffy. Like Ngong Ping, if you are stuck at The Peak (no taxi available, long queue everywhere)... you will miss your flight.

Taking the Airport Express train to Hong Kong Station, take a look, and come back - doable. The journey only takes 30 minutes. But be mindful of the time past.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,851 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

If your 5 hours mean landing at 11am, and then your next flight departs at 4pm, then you really shouldn't waste the time and effort to get out of the airport. If you really want something just slightly different, take bus S1 to Tung Chung station, walk around Citygate Mall and eat lunch. The other choice is to take Airport Express to Tsing Yi and walk around Maritime Square.

If your 5 hours are net of formalities already, then you do have time to take the Airport Express into the city and follow some of the suggestions above. Remember to get the same-day return Airport Express ticket which gives you the return trip for free.

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

Thanks. It is the net time. I think I will get the star ferry one hour harbour tour, the one starting at 11.55 am from Tsim Sha Tsui pier. I will use the airport express to and from Kowloon MTR. I hope this is quite safe considering the time constraint. Any comment about the immigration and security queue at HKIA? In Changi, Singapore for example, the security check takes place at individual flights' gates where the queue consists of passengers of that specific flight. Is it like that in HKIA?

Edited: 21 May 2014, 05:28
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Layover at Hong Kong Airport

>> I think I will get the star ferry one hour harbour tour, the one starting at 11.55 am from Tsim Sha Tsui pier. <<

I am a bit confused. If your flight arrives Hong Kong at 11am, you will not be able to make this tour at 11:55am at Tsim Sha Tsui Pier.

In a best case, from the gate, deplane, to through immigration/custom, to the Arrival Hall, 30 minutes. Note this is the best case. A norm is longer, maybe 40-45 minutes (it helps you since you don't need to pick up your check in luggage), or at times it can be 1 hour.

Taking Airport Express train to Kowloon Station is 21 minute. But that's the ride. A 10 minutes headway for the train. From there, taxi: queue for taxi (maybe). Ride = 15 minutes.

As you can see, from getting out of the Arrival Hall, just taking transportation to the Tsim Sha Tsui Pier is 40 minutes best case, worst case can be 1 hour. You need the same for the return trip. So you have about 1 hour to spend at the pier.