We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
78 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

I want to go to Plover Cove this weekend. I know there are different paths. Is there a path which is fairly stroller friendly? I don't mind carrying the baby a bit while my partner carries the stroller from time to time but it would be good if most of the path is ok with the stroller?

Also, which is the best view at plover cove?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

The road leading from Tai Mei Tuk parking area up to the main dam is paved with a little incline. Then it is all flat on top of the dam. You can push your stroller on the path.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

The lengthy dam wall of Plover Cove reservoir at Tai Mei Tuk is wide and flat and a popular walk for families with strollers but also extremely popular with cyclists at weekends. You can also continue from the dam wall along the service road on the western side of the reservoir which is suitable for strollers.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

Walking on the main dam and service road are okay. Flat and paved. I just hope you were not thinking of walking AROUND Plover Cove. Which is a long hike, really.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
78 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

Thanks for your response, HappyFeet. I was thinking the service road however, I've since been looking into it and it seems that the best views are when you walk around Plover Cove which is a moderate walk in terms of difficulty. It's supposed to be 2 hours around Plover Cove from Tak Mei Tuk to Bride's Pool. I wonder if we put the one year old baby on our backs in a baby carrier (not one of those special hiking baby carriers), we could do the 2 hour walk? There would be 2 adults so we could share the carrying?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

Wondering also what you have in mind.

The dam, no problem. Great for strollers. Bring a kite (or buy one at the kiosks near the bus terminus) and join the fun - if there's wind.

Another tip: if the tide is low (less than +0.5m, see www.hko.gov.hk for tide tables) the nearby beach at Lung Mei is accessible, and you can search for all kinds of shells, crabs, shrimp and fish (caught in tidal puddles), star fish, hermit crabs and sea urchins. So much life there. A little further you can access the mangroves. Go while stocks last - the government wans to destroy all this to make way for an artificial beach (officially to give the Tai Po people a nearby beach, but I think it has more to do with the resort hotel some big developer wants to build next to it).

Of course the beach itself is not stroller friendly :) But the road next to it, is.

If you're thinking of doing the Plover Cove Country Trail, forget it. This is a rough country trail, wheels are out. It takes 6-8 hours to complete. The views are stunning though, it's a really great walk.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

The current hot weather is not very suitable for extended hiking (or if you're like me, any hiking). There is zero shade along the main dam, so be careful of the heat.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

>> the best views are when you walk around Plover Cove which is a moderate walk in terms of difficulty. It's supposed to be 2 hours around Plover Cove from Tak Mei Tuk to Bride's Pool. <<

2 hours? It is not exactly around Plover Cove. You have to show me where you got the info. Like wvmarle said, 6-8 hours around Plover Cove (at best)... and I think it takes longer because of the up-down terrains involved.

Bride's Pool itself is easily accessible. Just not "around Plover Cove". From Tai Mei Tuk to Bride's Pool, you are walking along the road, really, which is along a very short, partial coastline of Plover Cove.

Map:

http://goo.gl/LLJf8h

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

The road route Tai Mei Tuk to Bride's Pool is not part of what I call the hike around Plove Cove Reservoir. On the contrary: the hike starts at Bride's Pool, and then goes all the way around, ending via the main dam at Tai Mei Tuk.

The stretch Tai Mei Tuk to Bride's Pool along the road is actually pretty boring, by the way. Not good to walk. The sidewalks there are really narrow (maybe too narrow even for a stroller to fit on).

Bride's Pool is great. Just next to the road - not stroller accessible as you have to walk steps or an unpaved footpath to get there. Well, to get to the waterfall it's a scramble through the river bed; the nearby Mirror Pool Fall is actually much easier to get to. Lovely area, great for children to play in the water. Bring a fish net to try to catch the little fish there. There are bbq pits available as well.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 02:56
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

>> The sidewalks there are really narrow (maybe too narrow even for a stroller to fit on). <<

I think it is wider than that. At least on one side it is okay.

Here is a typical snapshot of that stretch of the road.

http://goo.gl/tKKIFH

On the right, you can see Plover Cove Reservoir. I haven't been that stretch for ages but things haven't changed that much. :) You are right it can be boring. Or should I say less inspiring.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Plover Cove - stroller friendly?

Sidewalk quality varies - that part is indeed quite OK. Still I wouldn't want to walk it unless I have to.

Go a little further from your image, and you can see lampposts planted smack in the middle of that sidewalk, like here: http://goo.gl/maps/pntuA (that other version of Google Maps you linked to doesn't work well for me). I don't know how well a stroller fits around that.

Typical Hong Kong style road design - for cars the road design is OK (but not more than that); sidewalks and cycling tracks are terrible. So bad, it looks like they're putting extra effort into making it so.