We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus Card

McCrae, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Octopus Card

Hello I would like to buy octopus card when I arrive in Hong Kong for a 3 day visit and a 30 hour visit on return from the US . How much should I load onto it ? As I don't want to stop and top it up. I intend on going every where and on everything time time will allow. Thanks Christine

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
166 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus Card

It depend where you plan to go. If you are going to places like Lo Wu and Shenzhen on the train I would suggest adding HK$200. If you are keeping travel fairly local then start with HK$100 (+$50 for the card)

Topping up the value should not be a problem. You can add value at any 7-11 or Circle K shop which are

almost every where.

You can also use the cards in many shops; supermarkets, 7-11's, Circle K's, Starbucks.

McCrae, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus Card

So $500 HKD should cover all things?

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus Card

We were in HK in March and, being confused even after reading this forum extensively (guess I am a slow learner!) we bought a 3 day unlimited pass at a MTR station. I think it was a reasonable price and we didn't have to top it off and we got the deposit back at the end of the trip (this necessitated a stop at the window at our last MTR station.) We didn't do non-stop touring, but did go back and forth using it several times a day. I don't think it was usable on the ding-ding tram, but since we are seniors, the price there was so cheap, it didn't matter. If you don't want to hassle with the topping it up thing, I think the pass might be an option. Regulars and more knowledgeable people might have different advice for you.

Sally in Seattle

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
103 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus Card

Octopus card is very frequently used in Hong Kong and can be used for the public transports (except taxis and most mini buses). Many other places like Starbucks, supermarkets, Sasa/Bonjour, Watsons, Mannings and 7-11 can pay by the Octopus card. As i don't exactly know what you maybe doing therefore i can't exactly suggest to you how much. Topping up won't be a problem because MTRs and convenience stores such as 7-11 / Circle K allows you to top up.

For the traveling cost, you can log on to: www.mtr.com.hk to give you an idea how much it cost.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Octopus Card

I think HKD $500 should be plenty to cover transportation only - buses, MTR (subway), ferries, ding ding trams, etc. for 3 days. Transportation cost in Hong Kong is very inexpensive (even taxi, but they practically don't take Octopus card). Plus the occasional drinks (bottled water at 7-11, coffee, etc)..

But some use Octopus card for all kinds of payments - buying groceries, meals (McDonald's), admission fee for this and that... and... they run up of balance on their Octopus card frequently. It just doesn't make sense to me. Say someone buys $500 worth of grocery (a couple bottle of good wine, some cheese... easy)... and they pay for it with Octopus card. Voila... they ran low on the balance again. Next day, they need to "add value" to the card at a MTR station which they did the day before, for another $500 or something. So why didn't they just fish out $500 cash to pay for the grocery bill?

Octopus card is designed for small-amount transactions... so you don't need to worry about the change (and not lose it).

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Octopus Card

Hi Christine, $500 would be enough, if you have to top up it is easy and quick, the minimum top up is $50. You can cash in any balance less a small admin fee at the airport when you finally leave hong kong after your US visit.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
166 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Octopus Card

I think $500 would be more than enough and would probably mean you would not need to worry about how much you had left

8. Re: Octopus Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:15