We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
84 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

I actually don't have a fixed schedule but after reading many things I have inferred that Nov-Dec-Jan is the best time to visit.

What I am wondering is if I should aim for Christmas/New Year or should come before that? Since I am yet to start the booking process, I am quite flexible.

Also, does someone has a preferred tour operator? I'll be coming from Delhi, India.

TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Smooth Ride Bike Tours Hong Kong
Night Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours
Myhktour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Hong Kong Private Guide
Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

I would do the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas. Stay over Christmas or New Year if you have time. Lots of festivities. Office buildings in Tsim Sha Tsui and some in Hong Kong Island decorated with special lights and are turned on in the evening. Many malls with Christmas time special decorations.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,056 posts
5,941 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

Macau also does a nice job now decorating the Historic City Centre with Christmas arrangements.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

The Christmas decorations in HK are pretty neat, and inside the malls are decorated nicely as well.

Various, UK, Aus...
Level Contributor
63 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

Bring a coat. It can get cold in Hong Kong in January.

Nothing shuts over Christmas. Christmas day is a public holiday, which means restaurants charge extra, but other than that its no different to any other weekend type day (offices shut, everything else open). I found it rather disconcerting my first Christmas!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,056 posts
5,941 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

Disneyland has a Winter / Christmas theme that is enjoyable. Do check out the Discover Hong Kong website for the Winterfest details which are usually posted around early November each year. This tells of noted Christmas and seasonal holiday events, decorations and related information.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
84 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

I will be coming for a week there, and for now I plan to cover both Macau and Hong Kong. So either I can see Christmas or New Year. I am leaning more towards Christmas.

But the problem is that I will have to book in advance and the winterfest activities are posted quite late for the bookings.

Thanks for the replies though. Sounds like two or three days before christmas time will be better.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,056 posts
5,941 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

>>>winterfest activities are posted quite late for the bookings.<<<<

Not really that big a deal. Just locations where you can find decorations, ice skating (some years) and other activities. I wouldn't wait for the website to be updated to book your flights. Here is the link to the Discover Hong Kong - Winterfest website if you want to have a look now. Its rather empty at the moment.

discoverhongkong.com/eng/…winter-fest.jsp

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,429 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

the 'Winterfest' activities usually starts early December until around 1st week of January with most activities between 20 Dec to 2 Jan... but as BradJill suggested, you don't have to wait until the programme to be finalized before you book your holiday. The whole HK is Christmas-y enough (not in a traditional European way but rather an exciting, colourful, party-going way)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
84 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

So coming on 23rd December will be fine? I will plan the itinerary accordingly.

Indian Tour company offers the packages only in September though. I will just keep an eye out for the flight and the prices.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,056 posts
5,941 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a travel to Hongkong/Macau in December

>>So coming on 23rd December will be fine?<<<

As good as any other day! ;-)