We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

Can someone please tell me if it is cheaper buying iPhone battery in either of these places? I'm in London now but will overnight in HK Causeway Bay before returning to Australia.

I'm referring to the IPhone inbuilt battery not the recharging unit which is a separate physical unit. If HK is the place, where in CBay I can buy genuine battery?

Thanks a lot.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

G'day,

CWB- Hysan Place- Apple Store.

Opening hours- 1100- 2300 hrs.

http://hp.leegardens.com.hk/#!/floorplan/1587

Edited: 17 June 2014, 10:00
Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

Thanks Mktravel for the quick reply. I guess Apple Strore is the only place I can get this? If so, I might get it in Australia as I believe Apple prices is pretty standard worldwide? My battery all of a sudden runs down pretty quick after recharge that is the reason for this.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

Not really, the price for worldwide apple store varies with the cheapest being the US and Hong Kong is one of the cheapest place for non contracted iPhone... having said that, I was referring to iPhone/iPad/iPod but I am not very sure about the repairing parts (i.e. batteries).

You can log on to the online apple store under each country to check for the price differences... (although the differences is in fact marginal...)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

G'day,

yep,as replacing the battery involves special tools(for the pentalobe screws) to open the back casing( also detachment of cable to connector and display assembly),and removal of battery..guess best to wait it up..in fact when back in Australia..approach staff saying battery after charging does not hold charge for long as previously..say what they say,instead of telling them you wish to replace battery.

Have you done a hard reset before? power and home buttons pressed simultaneously.

Or backing up to iTunes,then factory reset.

Try this first..mentioned in Apple community forum.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

iPhone Batteries are not available at Apple stores!!!

HK is the place. There are small shops where you can get it replaced. Takea less than two minutes. Couple of shops in Mong Kok area and also in Wan Chai Computer center you may find them and maybe at 298 Computer Center 298 Hennessy Rd (alternatively try the entrance from Wanchai road and check the shops there).

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

I thought you can consult and be quoted at genius bar? if not, yes, you can indeed go to those 'mobile garage' places... the Mongkok shops cookie mentioned should be those at Sincere Podium Centre...

One thing though, your warranty will be down the drain if you do that

Edited: 18 June 2014, 06:51
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,325 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

At the apple store, they replace it with original battery that comes with a warranty and charge a hefty premium for it. And would take days. At other phone stores scattered all over HK, you get *a* battery, replaced within minutes/hours, for cheap. Your choice.

If one is thinking of replacing the battery out of pocket, the phone is obviously not under any warranty to begin with.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

G'day,

in Australia, now the battery replacement for iPhone costs only AUD95 incl GST.

Not sure where you are staying in Australia, I have done it to replace battery on my iPhone3GS (that time if remembering was only AUS80) , went to Apple store in Chadstone, and I had arranged for their ERS(just pay a fees that time was like only AUD25)..so after backing up to iTunes,and factory reset, they did diagnostic test too..all was OK,and only battery, took them four working days,and they provided a iPhone3GS for my use during the four days,but I used the iPhone3GS for another 3 days before going back to get my iPhone3GS.

In Australia, you can send in or take in for service.

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

Thanks everyone. I might ask around when I get to HK, trying to make sure I don't end up with a fake like I once did in KL with my old Nokia Phone. Yes my phone is unwarranted and unlocked.

Mktravel, Chadstone sounds like a Melbourne area or maybe Perth?? I'm in Sydney, AUD95 sounds a bit steep though! Yes, when Apple did the unlocking, they had to do the switching off simultaneously etc like you suggested. I watched them do it but I'm sure I can replicate that.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth buying in HK or London or Austraia?

You will not get an original Apple battery. Even the "original" battery does not have any Apple branding, but for sure good quality control. I never had any problems with 3rd party brand replacement batteries, but of course you can be unlucky sometimes. Anyway, way cheaper than asking Apple to do it for you - even if you need to change the battery every year.

Wanchai computer center has reliable shops. I remember there were also shops providing Apple repairs. Not sure which iphone you own, but fron 4 onwards it is very easy to change the battery. iPhone 3 also is not a problem if you know how to do it.