We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Happy Hour

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Planning Happy Hour

Hello,

I need suggestions for places that are good for a private or sem-private happy hour. I've looked into booking some hotel lounge spaces but don't know the area, so i'm welcoming any tips! We will be about 30 business professionals from all over the world (in for a conference). I'll be in from Chicago hosting the Happy Hour with a colleague and would like a drink package to make this simple, maybe passed apps. as well.

Thank you!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Happy Hour

Where is this conference? You don't want these 30 business professionals to have to travel too far for a happy hour. So not knowing where they are going to be at this conference it's difficult to make any recommendations.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,420 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Happy Hour

With that many guaranteed attendees, I would choose one of the hotels - whichever has the most delegates staying (that would give you leverage in negotiating costs), then contact the MICE Sales Executive, to see if a small section of the hotel can be used for a 'Cocktail Function'.

Alternately, if the numbers of attendees are secure and you're all good to a set expenditure amount, many bars would be happy to cordon off a section - for an agreed minimum spend (but that may or may not include Room Hire fees depending on the minimum spend amount. Some have a two part clause which will trigger the room hire charge only if minimum spend amount isn't reached)

Edited: 19 June 2014, 23:06
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,420 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Happy Hour

I'd also speak with the Conference Coordinator, to see if they have any sponsorship or contra-deal arrangements with any of the local F&B venues.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 23:08
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Happy Hour

#1 is right. We can't give you good advice without knowing what part of town you're staying/working in.

It seems to me, though, that you will have two basic options: a hotel or a bar. The hotel option will be more "professional," less boisterous and more expensive. OTOH, a certain number of bars have spaces that are suitable for a semi-private event, and -- especially if this is a weeknight (i.e. not Friday or Saturday) -- the bars are often more eager for business.

So let us know the day of the week you're thinking about, as well.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Happy Hour

In Hong Kong, it's all about how much you are willing to spend.

A maybe outside-the-box idea:

www.hktramways.com/en/tramhire/index.html

Small party on a ding ding tram, for 2 hours. You can DIY on the drinks (maybe wine or common cocktails) and food. Certainly is memorable for the 30 professional invited.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Happy Hour

Happyfeet's idea is good if you'll be coming late fall or winter. It will be quite uncomfortable in the summer (even at night) since the trams are not air conditioned.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Happy Hour

I organized a tram party a few years ago. Apart from the fetid air problem mentioned by Glacierfed, there was also a bladder capacity problem -- there's no toilet on a tram and after a couple of beers that became a pressing issue. We lost a couple of guests who had to get off and run into a fast food restaurant in odd parts of town. The tram, of course, cannot wait....

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Happy Hour

LOL... HKO. Thanks for pointing that out. I would not have thought of that. Give warning cards and absolutely no drink on board. Nah... need to scratch the idea. :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Happy Hour

That is when the empty beer bottles come in handy

10. Re: Planning Happy Hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:17