We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

I spend what seems like too much money on connectivity while in Hong Kong. I've tried almost all the carriers pre-paid sims (most important issue for me was signal strength where I stay).

As I'm staying longer next trip I want to cut down on these costs if I can.

This info. may be a little old now but this link, hktravelblog.com/2012/… seems like it might fit for my day to day carry around phone.

I've used Smartone last trip as I tried out their 4g. Their 3g signal seems to very good.

I've been using one2free 5g add ons, but this time around I'd love to stream music on the go with spotify so need more data.

Anyone have any experience with these plans, or have other suggestions?

Can I sign up for a contract with a U.K. credit card, when I get back?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,632 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

Re: I'd love to stream music on the go

Don't these i-phone or look-alike have local gigabytes of storage where you can upload MP3 songs on the device?

Didn't you say you need to trim back your spending on telecom spending?

Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

I got lost in your post Happy.

Yeah I'd like to use Spotify, but I haven't in the past 'cos it would have eaten into my data allowances.

The packages I linked to are less than 80 bucks a month. I've been paying around 258 for 5gb (which doesn't always last me a month, so I sub again). So I'd say a ton there, the speeds are capped at 384kbps but that should be okay for web browsing and streaming music (I hope).

Not sure on iPhone, I'm not an Apple user. I use Windows Phone.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,632 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

What I was saying is: those hand-held devices (i-phone or Samsung or whatever phone) have local storage, right? They can let you download MP3 music on them, right? If so, maybe you don't need to stream music on the go - thus eating up whatever data throughput you bought when you listen to music.

London
Level Contributor
417 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

If you are still in the UK, 3 are doing what no other network is doing FREE roaming in 16 destinations.

Hong Kong is one of those detinations, usage of your UK allowance although there is limitations.

No extra cost for calls back home.

No extra cost for texts back home.

No extra cost for data.

If you have All-you-can-eat data you can use up to 25GB. If you have All-you-can-eat texts you can send up to 5,000 texts. If you have 3,000 or more minutes included in your allowance you can use up to 3,000 minutes.

But how good is 3 network in Hong Kong?

www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home…

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,018 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

>> This info. may be a little old now but this link

yes. it is. New World is now part of CSL.

>> Can I sign up for a contract with a U.K. credit card, when I get back?

with certain providers, and with a substantial deposit (several thousand HKD) - unless you hold a HK ID card.

>> how good is 3 network in Hong Kong?

based on local forums, CSL=One2Free=1010 among the best, "3" among the worst . But bottom line is what will it be where you are staying.

Smartone: board.phonehk.com/viewthread.php…

CSL: board.phonehk.com/viewthread.php…

3: board.phonehk.com/viewthread.php…

China Mobile: board.phonehk.com/viewthread.php…

Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

Thanks all. I do now hold a HK ID and don't mind paying for 6 month in advance. I read somewhere though that as it's contract they need a credit card vs me paying 6 months in cash (however I only have U.K. credit cards).

I've tried all of those and found personally CSL had the best consistant signal and fit my usage best.

It cost me 258 bucks for 5 GB but I tend to run out before a month.

Smartone is good signal and also 4g when I get to the bus stop but their pre-paid data pricing is funky. Charged for an hour up to max of 3 hours per day. Even if you send one whatsapp message. If I need all day access (I constantly look stuff up as I travel around) I worked out it would be about. They charge 8 bucks an hour, 24 for the day. 720 for a month.

I've considered the Three deals here already and they seem really attractive. Seems great for data (much more so before when they allowed tethering but I hear now this is restricted?). I also need local calls and I've tried a Three sim in HK, great in the city but no signal where I stay.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,018 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

I know someone who has a mobile contract with only foreign credit cards. But do you really want a contract... all those stories of being overcharged and not able to get out of it without huge penalties. You may not be in town long enough to fight it out.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 15:12
8. Re: Smartone/New World Mobility Unlimited data plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16