We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

Hi Advisors

Kindly help me out. We are Two, young couples who are trying to visit HK. I have already been for a business meeting and this time also some what similar but i have 2 complete days and 2 nights free on my 4 days travel. IS that possible to Cover Disney land, Some places like Peak and other like ladies market in HK and also can i plan for a Trip to macau for 3/4th day and come back and catch a flight back to home. Will this be possible. Kindly help me out

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,694 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

Need some help with the exact timing of your departure - is it on day 4?

1. Disneyland - could take all day if you have children, otherwise not very interesting.

2. Visit the Peak 1-2 hr & some shopping; ride the Star Ferry to Kowloon & visit a market

3. Ferry to Macau (for activities see the Macau Forum)

4. Ferry direct to Skypier at HKIA. You must allow 3 hours from ferry departure to airline departure.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

2 days 2 night should be enough for Disneyland, The Peak, Ladies Market and something else in Hong Kong. Day trip to Macau is not advisable under the tight time-frame because there is immigration checks involved, and round-trip travel overhead is 5+ hours.

While it is possible to go to Macau, and then directly to HKIA for your flight departing Hong Kong, it is a burden because you need to move all your luggage/belonging with you across the water, twice, and need to store them somewhere and retrieve them back. I would advise to give it a miss as it is too rush, and focus your time on all things you want to see in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,622 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

We usually don't recommend Macau for visitors with <4 full days in Hong Kong due to the travel time to/from Macau as well as the amount you can see/do in Hong Kong. However, if Macau is something that is very interesting for you, than yes, this is possible. As suggested above, visit the Macau forum and have a read of the Top Question (FAQs) there. This will help you plan how to maximise your time there.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

Hi We are young travelers (no kids) but my wife wants to see Disneyland. We want to see the fireworks in the night at the most. We are reaching on 855 AM in the morning on 7th July. Our hotel checking time is late evening. We may be carrying a Luggage bag. Is it safe for me to keep my Bag(s) at the airport . I had planned the following

7 July

10 AM keep bags in Airport

Leave to Big Buddha (Need to know the Route to travel in MTR or Bus)

Come back by mid afternoon . plan a trip to disney land from there. IS this possible for day one and return from there and crash at the hotel room.

8th July

I have my meeting asked my wife to see some places like the PEAK(which i already seen) and MONGKOK mall in the monring and planing for a trip to go SKYLINE and Ladies market in the Evening when i return from my meet after 5PM. I am planning to take the open Bus to explore and how can i do that. Need to know. NEed to visit Avnue of stars

9th july

Asked my wife to go for a Shopping alone and roam and evening yet to decide where to go may be clock tower and some nearby aminities. is it possible to go chi lin nunnery in the mean tme either in morning or evening. Need to go beach. Since we stay at the north point near city garden which will be the nearest beach. ? Kindly suggest

10th July

My flight is 8 PM HK time. I have a day. So i thought to plan to go Macau in the morning and return back to the hotel pickup the Luggage and leave the hotel to Airport at around 6.30 PM

Will this plan work out.?

Kindly give me a tracking route in what way i can achive. We had a same kind of hectic planning in BKK and we had succeeded in it. :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

There is Left Luggage Storage at the airport. It is safe.

To go to the Big Buddha from the airport - take S1 bus from airport terminal (mid-route) to the Tung Chung Bus Terminus. Walk about 5 minutes. Ride the Ngong Ping 360 cable car up to Ngong Ping. Alternatively you may ride Lantao Bus 23 up there, same destination. When done, come back to Tung Chung. Around maybe 2-3 pm.

Tung Chung to Disneyland - take MTR to Sunny Bay, then transfer to Disneyland Resort Line for 1 stop to Disneyland Resort.

Here is where things get dicey. You would need to head back to the airport to retrieve your luggage before you go to your hotel. Thus would spend some time back-tracking back to the airport.

= = = = =

Where are you staying?

= = = = =

8 July:

Looks okay. But it seems that you will be paying high fare for hop-on/hop-off bus for only a few hours of ride. Seems a high price for the value.

= = = = =

9 July

Chi Lin - evening won't work. They close at 4:30 pm daily.

= = = = =

10th July

Macau is rushed. If you insist. To be at the airport at 6:30 pm, you need to be back at the hotel at 5:30 pm no later. You need to be back at Macau Ferry Terminal at 4:30 pm or so. (where are you staying?)... your ferry should arrive at around 4:15 pm. So it should start in Macau at 3:15 pm. You should be at the ferry terminal no later than 2:45 pm. Which means you should leave your last attraction at about 2:15 pm.

If you start your trip from Hong Kong at 8:00 am, getting to Macau Ferry Terminal at 8:30 pm, hopefully. Tickets, immigration... take the 9:00 am ferry. Arrive Macau at 10:00 am. Immigration, out of ferry terminal at 10:20 am - 10:30 am. Take a taxi to your first attraction: 11:00 am.

You are about 3 hours to sight-see and have a meal in Macau.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,622 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

Happyfeet1234 has done well to point out the problem with your plans.

I would only add that your trip to see the Big Buddha will also need to factor an wait time to use the Ngong Ping 360 cable car of up to 1 hour, depending on how long the queue is when you arrive. The cable car journey time is 25 minutes up and down as well. Just bare these added times in mind when finalising your plans on the day. You might want to just grab a taxi to the Big Buddha statue to save some time.

Further, if you have a late arriving flight, be ready to drop someone, that probably being the Big Buddha side trip, since Disney is your higher priority.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

Re: #4

July 7 - You can leave your bags at the cable car terminal or Citygate mall, so you don't have to go all the way back to the airport to retrieve them after Disney. The cable car opens at 10am on weekdays, and I don't think you will run into long queues if you can be there shortly after opening time. I would suggest taxi from the airport to the cable car instead of the bus, so you can be there quicker.

July 8 - You can take the night tour on the open top bus. But as Happyfeet said, it is a bit pricey.

eng.bigbustours.com/hongkong/night-tour.html

July 9 - Stanley has a good beach, plus a market, promenade, restaurants and bars.

July 10 - To save time, you can utilize the airline check in facilities at Kowloon Station int he morning (see list below for participating airlines).

mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_around/images/itci.pdf

You will need to purchase airport express tickets for this service ($140 for group tickets for 2 persons). You will forfeit your ride, but you are paying for the convenience. Once you get rid of your luggage, take the ferry to Macau. When you return, take the ferry directly to Hong Kong Airport (Skypier). Since you will have already checked in your luggage and got boarding pass for your flight, you can take the 16:30 ferry from Taipa Temporary Ferry Terminal in Macau. There is also a 18:30 sailing from Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal, but that may be cutting it too close for a 8pm flight.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

Hi Happy feet I am Staying at City Garden hotel 9 City Garden Road

North Point Hong Kong

Is it easily commutable from Macau ferry if i come back? Anything i can add or ask my wife to visit when she stays alone spending her day time in Hotel. ?

Adding to the Disney land trip What time i should leave from there to have a glimpse to go and eat and sleep back down the hotel.? Kindly advise

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

Thank you Glacierfed! for your valuable suggestion as from this i cam to know taking a taxi to travel will be better even for a Cable car to poi lin. Kindly let me know some places if i should recommend my wife to see as she is good in exploring the areas. The Check in option in MTR will be good. Is that possible for me to checking in the nearby metro to my hotel if any? I am staying in City garden hotel, 9 City Garden Road

North Point

Hong Kong

Any ideas?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong and Macau in 3 Days/4 nights is that possible?

If you are staying at City Garden, you can check in at Hong Kong Station instead of Kowloon. You can take a taxi (quick, about $60), or the free airport express shuttle bus H2 (every 20 minutes).

mtr.com.hk/eng/…complom_free_bus.html

City Garden is close to Fortress Hill station, so it is easily accessible. For shopping, your wife can take the ding ding tram along King's Road to Causeway Bay, which is the major shopping and dining area on HK Island.