We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Hi We are 2 people planning to travle HK. for 4 days. How cheap is it. ? Can i exchange 300 USD for this entire 3 days trip as Hotel accomodation and Flights are already paid and done. Only for Sightseeing. and local eating and travel 300 USD = 2400 HKD enough? Kindly suggest

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

I think it is a little bit lean.

For my budget purposes, I usually use HKD $50 for breakfast, $100 for lunch, $200 for dinner, per person. You can do with less with fast food, and "local" eating - depends if you are used to Cantonese/Hong Kong style. WIth that, 2 people, 4 days, that's HKD $2800 already. Admission prices for some attractions can be high, such as Disneyland, Ngong Ping 360, Ocean Park, etc... e.g. Disneyland ~HKD $400.

Transportation is low. If you don't take taxi, each person, per day would be HKD $50 to $100.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,202 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Not enough.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Hi Happy feet

I will be carrying my credit card instead with me. Im on an office trip so some things like bf is company provided so as lunch . I should manage dinner. So my wife will be exploring 2 days on her own . So how much do you suggect more may be 100 More will do. kindly advise

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

ArunN1987:

It is really up to you. Just use my figures as a rough reference (HKD $50/$100/$200) per person per day. You adjust (between you and your wife, who has to pay for his/her own lunch, etc..)

Transportation: without taxi, use HKD $100 per person per day as the guide. I think you would spend less than that.

Attraction prices - you can estimate them up front. All major attraction admission prices are known.

Your shopping and any other personal indulgences (drinks, massages that sort of things) are extras.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,680 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Don't forget the ferry to Macau as well - or is your company paying for that?

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), India
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Hi Arun

Note that you will need to change USD 100 at the airport for taxi/train/bus fare or Octopus card and SIM card. You will only get HKD 710-720 at the airport. In the city you would get upto HKD 7.70 / USD. Your USD 300 will convert to HKD 2150 at best.

Assuming that 2 meals are taken care of, I estimate HKD 400 / day as expenses on transport and food (not fast food joints) for 2 people. This would leave only HKD 500 for other expenses such as admission tickets, shopping and so on for 4 days.

Best to have at least USD 500 plus a credit card. Am assuming that you can withdraw cash on your credit card. I was unable to do so in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,673 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Don't withdraw cash at an ATM using your credit card. You will pay interest through the roof. Use a debit card.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,680 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Unless the $300 is left over from a previous trip, don't try to convert twice as you'll lose on each transaction. Where possible use your credit card to pay for more expensive items, including meals & shopping and withdraw cash from a debit card.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,621 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

Typed 'how much to bring to Hong Kong' in the search box at the top of this forum page and came up with many related discussions had on this forum in the past that would be worth reading through. Here are a few

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k433…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k578…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k644…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k539…

10. Re: Hong kong and Macau- 300 USD fr food,sighseeing,travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15