We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

I have came across another Cantonese opera performance that will be on during our September trip.

We now have two Cantonese opera performances to choose from, Kim Sang Fai Cantonese Opera Troupe at Tai Po Civic Centre or Tung Ling Cantonese Opera at Ko Shan Theatre.

Has anyone been to either performance or have been to either places?? We are trying to figure out if both opera performances are similar or if one is better than the other,

We are staying at YMCA Salisbury and the Ko Shan Theatre is closer to the hotel than the Tai Po Civic Centre. Plus, the Tung Ling performance is in the afternoon, whereas the Kim Sang Fai performance isn't until 7 30pm at night.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

The Sunbeam Theatre at North Point is the "home" of Cantonese Opera in HK and was reprieved from closure and reopened in 2012 after renovation. If there are any performances in September you could also consider that venue. However, the theatre's website is only in Chinese;

http://sunbeamtheatre.com/hk/

Details of performances and ticket prices should appear on the Cityline website, in English, in due course but at the moment there are no details of September events;

www.cityline.com/eng/venues/location.jsp…

hong kong
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

While I haven't attended Chinese opera performances at either of those venues, my guess is there won't be any English programs/synopsis or subtitles available. I could be wrong, and others may have more info.

Cantonese opera performances in HK can be rather lengthy, 3 to 4 hours is not uncommon, so be prepared, take some water and snacks.

JMO, but I much prefer Beijing opera over Cantonese, as Beijing style tends to have more action/acrobatics. Unless you're specifically interested in the Cantonese style, I'd suggest a Beijing opera performance, something with a war/fighting theme. Sorry, I'm not aware of anything in September to recommend.

My fav Chinese opera experience ever was a spectacular performance by a visiting Beijing troupe at Sunbeam Theatre - despite some concerns about all the spears flying around over my head. I was sitting in the front row and in the line of fire :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

Thanks for the replies so far.

I will keep an eye out for the Sunbeam Theatre's September schedule. The links are greatly appreciated, thank you SolentTraveller.

@zippo86 Thanks for the suggestion of Beijing opera. I will keep an eye out for such performances if available in September. :)

Thanks again!

Edited: 11 July 2014, 00:03
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

There is more information about the Kim Sang Fai opera troupe's performances here;

http://tinyurl.com/kmgek4z

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

Cheers for that. 😊

Tickets to that performance are available now for purchase.

We want to see a performance, whether it is Cantonese or Beijing/Peking. I would like to wait until The Sunbeam theatre releases their September schedule, to see what's available for our dates. Any idea when this would be? Or how likely the Kim Sang Fai performance would sell out?

Thank you!

Edited: 12 July 2014, 07:00
hong kong
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

Thanks to solent's helpful link, I just bought tickets for Kim Sang Fai on 5 September at Tsuen Wan.

js4rq - I noticed majority of tickets in the (most expensive) $240 category for that performance are already gone, but lower priced seats appeared to have few sold at this point.

Just for info, if you happen to be over 60, you can buy tickets for most shows at government lcsd venues (such as Ko Shan Theatre, Tai Po Civic Centre, HKCC, etc) at 50% discount.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

Which seats would be the best seats or does this depend which theatre etc?

Edited: 12 July 2014, 22:29
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

Wahoo for booking tickets! 😀

We'd be looking at the 13 September performance. Just not sure if we should wait until The Sunbeam theatre release their programme to see what's on offer? What would Tung Ling be like in comparison?

hong kong
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

"Which seats would be the best seats or does this depend which theatre etc?"

People have different preferences, but of course the higher priced seats are better for most.

Chinese opera in HK, the musicians are usually situated on the right side of the stage, banging away at a volume that ACDC could only aspire to. It can get VERY loud if sitting at right front. My preference is as close to the stage as possible, near the centre, but towards the left side, to avoid the racket.

Booking through urbtix you can choose specific seats and see what's available. I think they can post tickets to locations outside HK, but not 100% sure ??

…urbtix.hk/internet/en_US/eventDetail/24123

If you find some info/synopsis on the net, like solent's link, maybe print out and take with you, as it's likely there won't be any English info at the venue. (I've already printed that out for the 5 sep show) Subtitles are usually displayed on a screen to the side of the stage, but probably Chinese only, unless it's a performance as part of the arts festival, or at HKCC.

Also seating in most venues is rather cramped, so a seat in the front row, or with a space/walkway in front will give you more leg room.

Sorry, can't help with other questions.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kim Sang Fai vs Tung Ling Cantonese opera performances

That's great to know, thanks :) we will make sure we go for centre slightly to the left seats.

Tickets to the latter performance, Tung Ling will be available for purchase at the end of July, so will make a decision then, if the programme for the Sunbeam theatre hasn't been released. Although I am hoping it will be. :)

Thanks again for your help!