We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time does Ladies market generally open??

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
What time does Ladies market generally open??

I have had a look at their website and it states there are no set opening hours, although most vendors will be open at 12pm.

Does anyone know if some vendors open earlier? If so, what time? We were thinking of going to the Ladies market mid morning to look around before seeing a 2 30pm Cantonese opera performance at Ko Shan theatre. (unless The Sunbeam Theatre has performances later in the day).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,092 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

At mid-morning the stalls are still being set up. There are only a handful of vendors operating before noon. However, Fa Yuen Street Market in the adjacent street between Mongkok Road and Prince Edward Road West opens from about 10-30am and is inceasingly popular with tourists;

…blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/fa-yuen-street-marke…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

Fabulous, thanks SolentTraveller!! I have added Fa Yuen Street Market to our itinerary, so that we can check out both markets when we're there.

Thanks again! :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
5,406 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

Check out the Goldfish street as well, it is next to Fa Yuen and can be a very neat experience. These generally are best visited in the afternoon once all the shops open. Ladies Market is better visited in the late afternoon to evening time in my opinion.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

If you want to make sure all stalls are open, you should go later in the afternoon. I wanted to buy something from a specific shop. Unfortunately it was not open when I came just after noon and I was waiting until 2pm without success. However, >95% were open already. I fully agree with BradJill, the ambiance is better from early evening when it gets really crowded in Mongkok.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

Thanks very much for that, BradJill and cookie2011.

I didn't realise the Goldfish market was nearby as well. Will add that to the list.

Thanks! ;)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

Lots of koi fish on Gold Fish Street, few years ago I also saw a new trend there, fish tank landscaping without fish, some tanks are absolutely gorgeous, wish I could fly one home. That just started to show up in the U.S. We visited Ladies street once in mid afternoon, surprised many stalls were open for business so early.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

These poor stall owners at Ladies Market have to hold down their little booth until midnight. You wouldn't blame them for not too eager to open up shop at 10 am. :) There are only so many hours for them to sleep. :)

The Flowers Market opens super early. Sight-seeing, okay. Though I suspect you wouldn't be buying flesh flowers or live gold fish during your short stay in Hong Kong. :)

Edited: 15 July 2014, 21:05
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

I walked past the bird street before, but since SARS or bird flu, I wouldn't dare to go near it.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

Thanks everyone! :) you're right Happyfeet, we wouldn't be buying live gold fish but it'd be an experience browsing all the different markets.

Our mother & daughter trip is getting close and we are super excited. I was supposed to go with my partner last year but that fell through.

Just waiting for The Sunbeam Theatre to release their September programme so we can finalise our plans.

Thanks again!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time does Ladies market generally open??

Nobody has picked up the bird flu yet from bird street.

>>>I walked past the bird street before, but since SARS or bird flu, I wouldn't dare to go near it.

Even if you are just there to browse, besides Ladies Market, Goldfish Market and Flower Market are both worthwhile.