We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,661 posts
5,744 reviews
Save Topic
Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

A fun read from CNNTraveller (see link).

…cnn.com/2014/…

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

I like the story. Foodie-ism should be #1. :)

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

I am guilty of photographing every meal.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,366 posts
1,532 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

Ditto !

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,661 posts
5,744 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

Cameras eat first in Hong Kong, then people! Even at McD and Starbucks! ;-)

Edited: 30 July 2014, 09:58
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,174 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

What an interesting read! :) Cheers for sharing.

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

Honestly, the first time I saw macaroni on the Mc D breakfast menu. I took a photo.

The first time I had a coffee at Starbucks past the avenue of stars, I took a shot of the cup with the harbour in the background.

I think it became habit when I found myself taking a photo of my breakfast. Not eating out, just sat at home. Home brew tea (PG Tips) with a stick rice bun I'd bought the day before. Totally boring, but I took a photo. Why!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

As a Canadian, I never get used to seeing bamboo scaffolding. Luckily, not one of those workers has fallen on me yet.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,661 posts
5,744 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

Was discussing this thread with a mate in London and was reminded about the MTR and how it should have made the list.

Hadn't thought about it but the Hong Kong MTR system really is world class. Cheap, fast, regular, frequent, safe, modern, clean and extremely good service standards compared to metro systems elsewhere.

I suppose you stop thinking about these these things when using the system everyday (and I don't care much for certain (TST and TST-East) interchanges but I must admit that I have to raise my hat to the MTR system in Hong Kong.

Oh yes, and we have free wifi in most stations now.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

MTR: Elements that are designed at the same time tend to be designed very well. e.g. the cross-platform transfer from one line to another line, passengers only need to walk about 20 meters... those are done very well. But one line is conceived decades after another line, trying to make them connect... those, may be limited by many factors and are not done as well. e.g. I hate that walk at Mei Foo, transferring from Tsuen Wan Line to West Rail Line. It looks like the same "dot" on the metro map. But in reality the two platforms seem to be 0.5 km apart. (Feels that way) Also - Hong Kong Station to Central Station.

It is amazing... that the first 3 MTR lines (Tsuen Wan Line, Kwun Tong Line, Island Line), which begun construction in the 70's, were designed by the British engineers way back in the 50's!!! I have seen some old engineering drawings. Think about their vision and fore-thoughts! And they have originally designed the line to go to Yau Tong. But for whatever cost-cutting reasons, they did not build the track to Yau Tong the first round. I grew up seeing the end of the MTR Kwun Tong Line has a blunt end overhead track hanging in the air at about the Kwun Tong Swimming Pool (in the late 70's). Always wondering why...

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ten Things Hong Kong Does Best!!!!!!!

P.S. The Tsim Sha Tsui and East Tsim Sha Tsui underground walkpath connections are absolutely like a rat maze. Because they can only dig where the existing streets are, not inside the buildings (e.g. Sheraton Hotel). So the underground walkpaths basically follow the same grid as the existing surface streets, only 10 meters or so deep.