We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
57 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

Hi there. We've never been to HK before so I would really appreciate your thoughts on the following:

We'll be flying in to HK at 11 pm and don't fly out until the following day at 10:30 p.m. Which gives us a really full day of sight seeing. I'm considering two options - stay at an airport hotel for a quick to bed option, then storing our luggage in the morning at the airport, then heading off for a full day's exploring. Or option two, head directly into HK central once off our flight and staying the night there, so we can be in the heart of the action as soon as we wake up. I guess we could ask the hotel to hold our luggage for the day while we explore but it would mean we'd have to start and end from this spot.

I'm leaning towards the first option but would love to have any thoughts from those who know the city.

Thanks so much!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

Definitely city hotel... And if you are worrying about your luggage, a lot of airlines have city check in at the Airport Express station or as you have mentioned, store at the hotel concierge after check out... For a 11pm flight, you will be able to grab a drink or two down town when you arrive

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,695 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

Another vote right here to stay in the city.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

+1.... what they said above.

D L
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
281 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

You should stay in the city because the rates are probably cheaper.

For just the night stay, it can be really cheap !

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

Option 2.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
57 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

Wow! I can't believe everyone agrees!!! Thank you so much. Now, as a typical tourist wanting to check out the main sights any thoughts on the best areas to stay in? We're mid 40's, not into the party scene. We're fine paying up to $200/250 a night (but would love to spend less!). Thanks for any advice you might have.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

Look into hotels in the Tsim Sha Tsui or Causeway Bay area. $200 a night would give you plenty of options.

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

I would say Tsim Sha Tsui. Though these days, Mong Kok can come up as a good second. I would suggest not to consider Causeway Bay because it is a bit far from the airport. You will spend extra time getting to the hotel, and from the hotel to the airport the next day. For just a one night stay, closer to the airport is better.

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
9. Re: 1 day visit - airport hotel or central hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:17