We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

Hello Everybody - I will be spending December 1 - 3 in Macau then until December 16 in Hong Kong - I'm not a huge shopper although I more than likely buy a few things here and there, all hotels and tours are paid for etc - will have to buy octopus cards , disneyland tickets / ocean park tickets etc - Im planning on a budget of around $1500 Hong Kong dollars per day (which is around $250 AUD roughly per day) - this enough to have a good time and have the odd bit of pampering along the way?

Appreciate your responce's in advance

Connor

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

Without predicting prices 1.5 years down the road, this looks more than sufficient.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,149 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

Assuming this is per person you'll have a wonderful time. Just don't lose all your money in Macau.

Mermaid Beach
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

i think you will be OK, fro 250 aud you should be able to safely have a good time. enjoy

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

HK$1,500 a day is more than enough. You can comfortably live on HK$500 a day since hotels are paid for.

HK is actually very cheap to live in as long as you have taken care of the living part, which is the most expensive. Food, public transportation or taxi, and shopping are substantially cheaper than most if not all European, Japan, and North American cities.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

I normally budget on US$100 a day and that is more than enough.

Admittedly, I am not a great shopper nor huge spender on dining in top end restaurants

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

If you keep your dining and bar requirements in check, don't intend to spend too much shopping and make use of public transportation, the amount you are bringing will be more than enough to enjoy yourself in HK.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

Thanks all for your help! - I am confident that I should b okay - Really looking forward to sampling the local delights such as the "peeing shrimp" and baked crab!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

G'day,

not enough, read this thread

tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k…

Abundance of eateries.

And get your H&M and Zara here, before they open in Garden City over in Booragoon, so the first in Perth to flaunt this label..haha.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

Peeing shrimps, huh?

Very few restaurants in the city have big size mantis shrimps. You may have to go to seafood-specialty restaurants at Saigon, Lei Yue Mun and similar places that carry big size, all-year-round mantis shrimps. And whatever you do, do not ask them to cook whole - it looks so disgusting, like a giant centipede. Our group didn't dare touch the 8+ giant mantis shrimps on the plate! LOL! By default, they are chopped into little pieces.

And be sure to ask for "Garfield Crab" or in Cantonese "Gar Fei Hi". The crab's shell has patterns that look like Garfield the cat. It's very tender and delicious, much better than dungeness crab, coconut crab or the garden variety crabs. I only know Garfield crab is available at Saigon. I haven't been anywhere else so not sure of its availability.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December 2015 - Advice Needed on travel Money

Thankyou very much everybody for your response, iTwins thanks for the hot tip on the food.

I have some additional queries on travelling into china and will post in another post

Thanks Again!