We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights trip to HK and macau

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 nights trip to HK and macau

We are 2 couples accompaning with 2kids aged 4-5yrs.

We arrive hongkong on 27th sep morning. Booked holiday inn golden mile.

On 29th sep mornign we leave for macau.

1st oct will come back to hongkong by lunch time.

on 3rd oct evening leave from from hongkong.

We want to do following things in hk so need your suggestions on itenerary.

1. ocean park

2. disney land

3. peak tram and madam tussauds

4. nhong ping cable car

5. avenue of stars

6. some shopping

7. temple market and ladies market.

any other thing you suggest.

Regards

International Commerce Centre
Architectural Buildings, Shopping Malls
Stanley, Hong Kong
Historic Walking Areas, Flea & Street Markets
Harbour City
Shopping Malls,
IFC mall
Architectural Buildings, Shopping Malls,
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,882 posts
5,897 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

Hello gkj1908,

Welcome to the Hong Kong forum,

Unlike the India forums which are supported mostly by tour agents who have itineraries ready to send you, the HK forum is supported by volunteers who are glad to critique your itinerary and offer their thoughts on what you are thinking about doing while visiting Hong Kong but not put itineraries together for you.

What I can share are a few tips you might want to consider.

Major theme parks like Disneyland, Ocean Park and Ngong Ping 360 are much better visited on weekdays (M-F) instead of weekends due to crowds. This also includes trips to Macau. Also, if avoidable, I wouldn't schedule Disneyland and Ocean Park on back-to-back days. This can be very tiring so it is nice to have a lighter day in between.

Another tip is that you want to do is try to combine attractions in one area of Hong Kong and visit them on the same day. This makes for more optimal sightseeing than crisscrossing the city each day, visiting places that are not close together. To this end, have a look at the following trip list which arranges popular attractions (by area). This might be helpful.

Hong Kong Top Attractions (by area)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-What_to_…

As for shopping here is a similar list with some popular shopping areas in HK.

Hong Kong Top Shopping area

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i36592-Hong_Kon…

For additional trip planning assistance, do check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of the forum as well as Discover Hong Kong and Hong Kong Extras websites.

Once you have a roughly planned itinerary, do post it here and colleagues from this forum will gladly look over it and offer thoughts and suggestions.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

Bradjill thanks for your suggestion. Initial itenerary planned is as below:

27Th sep arrive hk and reach holiday inn by 12pm. After lunch leave for star ferry aand then onwards to peak tram, sky peak and mada tussauds. Then see avenue of stars.

28Th sep ocean park. If return on time than plan to see temple street.

29Th sep leave for macau venetian. In the evening visit city of dreams.

30Th sep visit macau tower and senado square. In the evening for leisure.

1St oct return from macau and arrive hk royal garden hotel by 1pm. After lunch leave for nhong ping 360. If return on time than planned for some shopping at night.

2Nd oct disney land

3rd oct some shopping till 4.30-5pm and then leave for airport as flight is for 8pm.

Looking for your expert comments....

Wanted to do some shopping but not able to find time for that.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

Sorry to pour cold water on this.....but your timing is really unfortunate. Oct. 1 is China's National Day and there will be a huge number of tourists from mainland China in HK during that week. Long queues at all tourist attractions. The mainland holiday period is Oct. 1-7.

It seems you've already booked, so there may be no way out. It that's the case, I would change the Macau part of the plan. Stay in HK until the 30th and do all you can in HK, and then go to Macau on the 1st of October.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
174 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

I agree....I booked my tickets to HongKong and am reaching there on 1st Oct - Bang at the start of National Day and Holiday Week - can't do much about it now, so will just have to brave the crowds and try to reach popular spots early in the mornings.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

Problem is there are no rooms available in venetian on 1st and 2nd oct...

So please advice what to cover in hk on 27 and 28sep and what to leave for 1st and 2nd oct...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

Ngong Ping 360 will be OK if you're there early, like 9:00 (weekends, holidays) or 10:00 (weekdays) which is when they open. I've been up at Ngong Ping last Chinese New Year - there was a 2-hour queue for the cable car (the people I was guiding that time got a VIP ticket) - and the crowds were highly manageable. The cable car's capacity limits the number of people up there, I guess. Nearby Tai O was worse of, though.

Another way to save on queueing is to get a ticket voucher from China Travel Service.

Drop either Disney or Ocean Park, 2 Oct both parks will be totally overcrowded. 28 Sept should be OK, though it'll be fairly crowded as it's a Sunday. I'd suggest choose one, and do something else on 2 Oct.

You may also book your Macau to Hong Kong tickets in advance, to be sure of your departure time. Not sure how bad it will be, but you may have to wait a few boats if you just show up at the pier and buy tickets then.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

Is it practical to leave the hotel(our flight will be reaching 9am) on 27th afternoon around 2pm and visit ocean park.

Then can visit disneyland on 28th sep... And do rest of the sight seeing on 1st and 2nd oct..

Also need to know one thing... We are 4adults and 2kids 4years.... So one taxi will accomodate us or everytime we need to book 2taxis?

or is there any option of big taxi like 7seater?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

That's a bit late - you should be able to leave your hotel by noon (or a little later if you have lunch around there first), note that you won't be able to check in before noon or even later (depending on the hotel) but you'll certainly be able to drop off your bags.

Ocean Park opens until 10:00pm but with the kids you won't make it that late I guess. Two theme parks back to back is also pretty demanding.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

If you still manage to change a bit of your hotel dates by now I might suggest doing just a day trip in Macau. But still do not do Macau on 1 Oct (or evening on 30 Sep for overnight) because even though China National day is not a big thing in Hong Kong, it's still a public holiday in HK so the locals might go to Macau for a day trip or an overnight one.

As said, the parks will be very busy but if you want to do... (At the Ocean Park, not very sure about Disney) you can go in the park early. Take the train to the top part of the park, then ride the cable car back to the lower zone... do as many rides as you want to before the crowds getting thick, then relax a bit in indoors things like to pandas / aquariums / restaurants or simply let the children take their nap on the stroller (you can rent there if you don't have them already)... then wait until early evening when the crowd is thinner and you can hit the rides again

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,699 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 nights trip to HK and macau

>>>>We are 4adults and 2kids 4years....So one taxi will accomodate us or everytime we need to book 2taxis?<<<<<<

Most taxis are licensed to carry maximum 5 passengers, more recent ones are licensed to carry 4 passengers. Child under 3 is not counted. Your group will exceed the legal limit for one taxi.