We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
13 posts
Save Topic
Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

I m traveling to HK/Macau between 9th Oct to 15th Oct 2014. We are family of total three members, Me and my wife ( Both in our 30's) and Our 15 months old daughter. We wld be arriving in HK on 09th of oct and would be there till 13th of Oct ( 4 Days) and then traveling to Macau. In HK which hotel do you recommend

Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express Kowloon East

Rgds

Vijesh

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

Regal Oriental (the old Kai Tak Airport hotel by Kowloon City) is very dated. You have no MTR access either so you will need to learn how to use buses. There are plenty of bus lines around but it just take time to get used to how everything works. You need to allow 20-30 minutes to Tsim Sha Tsui depending on traffic.

Holiday Inn Express Kowloon East sits right next to Tseung Kwan O station. However, TKO station is way out there in the eastern part of New Territories. Again, it's not convenient for sightseeing in central HK. The MTR line traveling this route tends to become extremely crowded during rush hour. It is a very new hotel though.

See if you can get yourself into more central areas for your budget. Look into other Holiday Inn Express properties (Jervois St at Sheung Wan, or across Times Square at Causeway Bay). Most of the Butterfly hotels are also better located as well.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

If I were to pick between those two, I would choose the HI as it is very new. Just allow more time for traveling to and from places. Avoid the MTR between 8-9am and you should be fine.

But as Sammyfloyd said, see if you can get some place more central.

D L
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
252 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

I disagree with the fact that Holiday Express is a bad option in the way that it is not in a central location.

First since I live near Holiday Express East I know that transport time to the city is not long at all (UNLESS of course if you plan to visit Yuen Long district). Everything that is tourist is within reach within 45 minutes, unless you are talking about outlying islands NOT Lantau Island, which is far from almost every hotel.

Second the air and environment around Holiday Express is very nice considering that it is located in an open new town Tseung Kwan O instead of the bustling city. This way you can get the views of both sides of Hong Kong, central and rural. Air is also fresher and you can always go for morning strolls at the 5 minutes harbour promenade.

If you planned for trips to Sai Kung (probably not with your young daughter) then certainly Holiday Express would make a good base for that itinerary / those itineraries.

Seriously it's not that bad and easy reached by MTR. From the airport just take the 1 hour bus of E22A and you are dropped at within 5 minutes walk to the hotel.

Added Note : Maybe you should explore other hotel options?

Edited: 05 September 2014, 08:21
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

Ask yourself: Will you go back to your hotel for a mid-day break and go out again? If you go out only once and back to the hotel in the evening, it may be all right. If you usually go back to hotel for a mid-day break, as visitors with young children usually may, then the Holiday Inn Express Kowloon East (Tseung Kwan O) location is very inconvenient.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

Holiday Inn Express in Sheung Wan offers a much better location for visiting Hong Kong Island and is very near the Macau ferry pier.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294217-d269813…

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

But of course if you would prefer close proximity to city centre then Regal Oriental... about 10-15 mins to Mongkok by taxi at around HK$40 or TST a wee bit further (15 - 20 mins / HK$60). Extra bonus if you like thai as the hotel is right next to the local thai communities.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

Locals and visitors see things differently. The environment around TKO station is fine actually. From a visitor's perspective though when they have limited time on a holiday, there are better options to choose in terms of location.

13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support. I guess I will finalise holiday inn soho. Guess both regal as well as holiday inn kowloon is bad choice

incase of further queries would return to seek guidance

Regards

Vijesh

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

SOHO always is a great choice for sure!! Have fun!

10. Re: Should i stay at Regal Oriental Hotel or Holiday Inn Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2015, 05:16