We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai to Nanjing

Which Nanjing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
3 posts
Save Topic
Shanghai to Nanjing

I'm Jeff, going to Nanjing on 2nd of May..

could anyone please advice me on how to get myself from Pudong Airport all the way to Nanjing Railway.

I need to know where to buy ticket, how to get there with public transport, around how much it cost and where to take the train??

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

It seems you want to make a seamless international arrival to train to Nanjing. But you are trying to do it on a Chinese national holiday weekend, Labor Day, May 1-3. Hundreds of millions of Chinese will be traveling on this date. Tickets are already sold out.

Shanghai Expo 2010 opens May 1 and Nanjing people will take day trips to Shanghai to attend, if they bought their peak advance-sale tickets. They are almost all sold out now for the weekend.

To get to the Shanghai Train Station, best bet depending on your time of arrival at Pudong is to take the Maglev to Longyang Road, transfer to Line 2 subway, then travel to Century Avenue and transfer to Line 4. You will end up at Shanghai Railway Station on Line 4. The Maglev fare is 40 yuan when you show your air ticket and 4 yuan on the Metro subway.

Can you fly directly into Nanjing? You could explore the bus alternatives, but they will be crowded also and standing room only on a bus can be downright uncomfortable. If you stay in Shanghai until May 5, you probably can get a train ticket then, as 100 trains a day now run on this route.

Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

How if i arrive on 30th of April morning or evening time??

is it difficult to get a train ticket also??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

Make it simple.

1) By airport shuttle bus#5 to Shanghai Rail Station,

2) By D-train to Nanjing.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

chinaloveland,

I guess you did not read the problem. Around 800,000,000 go on holiday on 1 May and about 1/3 travel everywhere. Tickets are sold out.

Time is of the essense. Bus from airport will take much longer than Maglev. Maybe 30 minutes more.

Jeff 124,

There is a chance on 30 April morning, as most are still working. No guarantees.

"is it difficult to get a train ticket also??"

No difficulty getting subway or Maglev. Difficulty is with the train from Shanghai to Nanjing.

The earlier you can get to the Shanghai station, or find someone in Shanghai to buy a ticket, the better.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

Hi SBS,

I'm wondering how you quote '800Millions (800,000,000) go on holiday on 1 May and about 1/3 travel everywhere..................'.

In 2008, Shanghai population is 20.8Millions (regular: 13.7M, City center: 14.5M). I cannot predict how difficult get a train ticket to Nanjing.

At you plan, Jeff need changes lines 3-times (Maglev-Line#2-Line#4) with his luggage.

Shuttle bus should minimize the effort.

I cannot predict the situation. If I arrive in Apr/30 & not insist get the train, I'll take shuttle bus to Suzhou then LD bus to Nanjing

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

Chinaloveland millions, upon millions, upon millions of people will be moving around China for the May Holiday. It is not just to do with the population of Shanghai. The Shanghai Expo has a huge bullseye on it for Chinese tourists and the May holiday gives them the perfect time to see it.

Going Shanghai to Suzhou is jumping out of the frying pan & into the fire. Suzhou is a huge drawcard for Chinese Tourists and you can bet that those people who have not been able to get tickets for the expo will have Suzhou as number 2 on their list !

Jeff, I am so sorry to be negative but it is very much the wrong place at the wrong time.If you arrive on the morning of the 30 April you might get lucky and be able to get a train ticket Shanghai to Nanjing. In your situation you might be better to use one of the train booking services to prepurchase a ticket for you. I would not usually recommend them as they can be expensive but in your case it might solve your problem: http://www.chinatraintickets.net/ http://www.china-train-ticket.com/

You could also look at flights - but very expensive when compared to the train.

Good luck with everything,

Annie

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

I have just checked flights for 30 April. There is a discounted flight RMB 390 available but it is showing low availablility so you had better move fast.

There is one flight on 1 May but it is full price RMB 880.

…ctrip.com/Domestic/Showfarefirst.aspx#

Also meant to add in my above post that I am not sure if those train booking services I listed will buy short distance tickets. Train tickets might also be already booked out ( which is why I have added the link about the airfare).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

Hi DEs,

First of all, let us switch back how to solve Jeff's concern.

Both of us know that Apr/30 is a tough day in Shanghai & no guarantees. We try to raise alternate plans.

I'll be +ve, because;

1) Apr/30 will not the peak period.

2) I don't believe the data of '800M go on holiday on 1 May ' . The reasons are;

A) In 2010 Lunar New Year, the statistics for PEAK capacity at Shanghai rail stations is 14K/hr. (source: http://www.chinanews.com.cn/cj/cj-gncj/news/2010/02-20/2127166.shtml). The daily total must less than 336K/day. If the D-train shortest interval is 3min, daily capacity are 480K/day. It is far behind the 800M.

B) There are 8 highways to/from Shanghai (G15, G42, G50, G60, G312, S26, S32 & S36). Only G42 (Nanjing) & G60 (Hangzhou) are 2 X 4lines. The estimated capacity are 216K/day (24 hr X 60times X 3lines X 50passengers).

If we believe the 800M, shall we justify suggest a traveler change 3-times in the subways?

Would DE(s) have solid info/statistics... for the '800M' ?

Besides that, shall we extend 'millions, upon millions, upon millions of people will be moving around China for the May Holiday' to 'yotta, yotta , yotta........will be moving around the WORLD in 21 Century?'

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

Chinaloveland, I tried to count them all but ran out of fingers & toes ;-P

Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing

I am planning a trip to Nanjing in June from Kuala lumpur. Would like to visit Great wall. What is the best option? which is the nearest place to visit great wall from Nanjing?

Get answers to your questions about Nanjing