We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Nanjing

new zealand
Level Contributor
415 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Nanjing

we are thinking of taking a train to Nanjing so my first question is which station in Nanjing should we be going to. I would like that name written in english and chinese please

We have read that the wall and the lake are walking distance from the train station?? Is this correct?

Can someone write the main attractions in english and chinese charcters please so that we can show that to taxi drivers if we do use taxis while in nanjing

A boat tour sounds like a good idea. Where does that leave from please, english and chines please. How often does it operate in April

any places in Nanjing where I might be able to find upholstery fabric ?

Nanjing, China
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Nanjing

There are two main train station in Nanjing now. One is NANJING South Railway Station(南京南站) which is far away from the lake. Another station is the old one and named Nanjing Railway Station(南京站). I believe it will takes around one hour to walk to the walls.

the walls 台城 Holocaust Memorial Museum 大屠杀纪念馆

Xuanwu Lake 玄武湖 Nanjing Museum 南京博物馆

Jiming Temple 鸡鸣寺 Confucius Temple 夫子庙

Zijin Mount 紫金山 Office of the President 总统府

Nanjing, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Nanjing

Hi 9plus,

Is it a day trip only? If so, given the time, you should pick some places before your trip. The following is the official tourist website with detailed info on each site:

en.nju.gov.cn/scenic.aspx…

Try to read through and decide for yourself which ones you are interested in. There are two stations, Nanjing Station and Nanjing South station. Nanjing Station is the one by the lake. Though from the station you can see the lake, it's better to take the metro to Xuan Wu gate, 玄武门, which is nearby the entrance of Xuan Wu Lake. On your left side when you facing the gate, there are steps leading to the Ming City wall. You can walk all the way to Jie Fang Men which is quite near Jing Ming temple. The walk is c.a. 3-5km, 20 min around. The best bird view of the lake is near Jie Fang Men. Beyong Jiefang Men, you can walk further to take the best shot of Jing Ming Temple.

After walking around the city wall, you can visit Jing Ming Temple if you are interested. Presidential Palace is also not far from the temple.

As for the boat tour it's in Confusius Temple, it's quite frequent and also runs in the evening. The Zhan Garden 瞻园 is a lovely place to visit.

There are many other places in Najing, but for day trip, it's already enough for you.

Have a nice trip!

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
225 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Nanjing

@ shengyan

That's a very good website you shared. I was not aware of it. I am very sure it will be helpful to English speaking tourists especially for those who wish to create their own itinerary and travel F & E.

I am planning to visit Hangzhou in May and swing over to Nanjing for 4 or 5 days. This would be my third visit to Nanjing and somehow, I just feel that I could not get enough of this beautiful city. I simply love Nanjing! And the website is good. Really refreshes my memory of places that I have visited and gives me some background information of places which I wish to visit.

Nanjing, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Nanjing

:) Glad you also love this city!

In May? Then try to stop over on May 18 The Museum Day. Nanjing Museum on Zhong shan dong lu is newly expanded with 6 exhibition halls, and they will hold Qipao exhibition that day! And it used to be the state museum before Beijing Museum was established before 1949.

Also Jiangning Imperial Silk Manufacturing Museum on Chang jiang lu is newly opened, just in the downtown center across the presidential palace.

And oh food. Street food, hidden somewhere, is the best!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,316 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Nanjing

Good xialongbao on the pedestrian street near Hunan lu. I go at least once a week when in Nanjing.

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
225 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Nanjing

@ shengyan

Thanks for the heads up about the Qipao exhibition. Actually, my itinerary would be:

12 May - arrive in Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport. Stay in Hangzhou for 3 days

15 May - Leaves for Shanghai, and stay there for 3 days

18 May - Leaves for NANJING.

It's really coincidental that on the day when I leave Shanghai for Nanjing, the Qipao exhibition starts. I find it paradoxical however that while Qipao - correct me if I am wrong - is a Shanghainese creation, I am going to see it in Nanjing instead. Hahaha!

I have planned to visit the Silk Museum in Hangzhou, so if I go to the one in Nanjing, would I be seeing something not found there? I mean, do they have anything which will differentiate them from what Hangzhou has to offer?

@ Jean-Pierre

Thanks for 'tip-off'. Now I know where I can get good xiaolongbao! A pedestrian street near Hunan Lu shall be under siege when the WOLF arrives.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 03:00
Nanjing, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to Nanjing

What a pleasant coincident! :-D

You know the reason that why Qiaopao exhibition is held in Nanjing? There is sort of historical reason behind it per my understanding. Qiaopao has developed from the gown of Manchu in Qing dynasty. And during the republic period, the design evolved a great deal and gained its popularity in Shanghai. Gradually it became the symbol of Republic of China. Since Nanjing was the capital city of R.C., you can find numerous architures in R.C. style. In Nanjing Museum, one of the hall is themed on R.C. street view, and that hall is where the exhibition will be held.

As for the silk museum in Hangzhou, I have never been there before. Therefore I am not able to give any comments on the difference. I think there are some things worth seeing in Nanjing silk brocade museum:

Yun brocade, the architure itself, the history of the royal silk manufacturing office, and the very famous novel The Dream of the Stone - Hong Lou Meng by Cao Xue Qin. Yun brocade together with Song Brocade in Suzhou and Shu brocade in Sichuan are the top 3 silks in China till now. Yun brocade was mainly favored by the upper class during Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties. The architure was designed by one of the students of Liang Si Chen, the greatest architect in China I would say. The multimedia the museums used to present is great too. ANyway, too much info to digest, it really depends on your time and interest.:)

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
225 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to Nanjing

@ shengyan

Thanks for the brief introduction to Chinese silk. You got me googling for more information and I learned something new.

I am not sure what the Hangzhou Museum has, like whether or not I would be able to see the workers making silk from start to end, every production stage involved in making it. I would probably have a look at the one in Nanjing as well as there is no harm having another session watching the same thing, if it turns out to be the case. If it turns out that the Hangzhou museum only displays silk products, then hopefully, I might get to see how silk is made in Nanjing.

But I am unlikely to buy any product that's made of silk.

I believe it will be expensive after reading the number of cocoons that are required to produce a small quantity of silk and the laborious process involved to make the fabric. Also, I have no idea how to tell the high grade silk from the low grade ones, other than by the price. So, I suppose, one with a price tag that says RMB 200 should be of an inferior quality compared to another with a price tag that says RMB 4000. The last thing I want to see happening to myself is to pay for something which a local like you can get for half the price. hahaha.

Price aside, it is the amount of care which seems to be required to keep the silk in a good condition which scares a lazy person like me off. To me, the silk (or anything I buy) is supposed to work for me. I wouldn't buy something and become its slave, and have to look after it instead.

By the way, I managed to book hotel rooms in Hangzhou and Shanghai for a very reasonable price. But for the same class of hotel, the ones in Nanjing seem to be more expensive. I wonder why. Olympics is in August, so May should be a little too early to push the prices up, don't you agree? And some of the hotels I saw on Agoda state "For domestic residents only". I suppose that means they don't accept bookings from foreigners?

And I did find a number of BUDGET hotels which looked good, with favourable comments from guests who have stayed there before . I am hesitating to book and thought maybe I can always walk about when I am there and simply check in any empty room that's available and within my budget of RMB 100/night (I know that's a bit risky). The last thing I'd want to see happening is to have paid Agoda for 4 nights and be turned away by the hotel saying they did not log in my booking as they only accept 'domestic residents' and then have to go through a tedious process to get a refund from Agoda plus having to make a choice between scooting around all over Nanjing looking for a hotel room at inflated prices and sleeping in a park. hahaha.

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
225 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to Nanjing

@ shengyan

I found one hotel called Nanjing Outai Inn Jiang Ning located at No.680 Shangyuan Street, Jiang Ning District, Nanjing, China 211100

Is there a metro station nearby that I can walk to, to go to the tourist places which are now quite well served by metro?

Also, if I come from Shanghai to Nanjing South Station, how do I go to this hotel from the train station?

I believe the Jiangning Imperial Silk Manufacturing Museum on Chang jiang lu which you mentioned is in the same district as the hotel which is Jiangning?

Thanks.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 07:47
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,316 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip to Nanjing

This is not a very convenient location although not too far from the south Station.