We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Nanjing

new zealand
Level Contributor
415 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Nanjing

we are thinking of taking a train to Nanjing so my first question is which station in Nanjing should we be going to. I would like that name written in english and chinese please

We have read that the wall and the lake are walking distance from the train station?? Is this correct?

Can someone write the main attractions in english and chinese charcters please so that we can show that to taxi drivers if we do use taxis while in nanjing

A boat tour sounds like a good idea. Where does that leave from please, english and chines please. How often does it operate in April

any places in Nanjing where I might be able to find upholstery fabric ?

Nanjing, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: day trip to Nanjing

Hi Eric!

The museum is at the very center of Nanjing in Xuanwu district while Jiangning district is kind of far away, around 25-30 min by metro. And from your chosen hotel to the nearest metro station, you need to take bus, it's out of comfortable walking distance. It's better to stay a bit closer to the downtown.

The hotels here indeed have to get some certificate or standard in order to host foreigners. I heard of the same thing before. Therefore, given the limited choice, a hotel room around 100 RMB is rather difficult to get. If I were you, I would choose hostel or Airbnb. I recommend you to take a look at Airbnb.

As for the silk, of course it will be more expensive in museum. But you can find ok silk clothes online. Still, clothes are way cheaper in states than in China for a good quality and design!

Good luck with the accommodation! If you have any other questions, just ask!

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
225 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: day trip to Nanjing

@ Jean-Pierre

Thanks. I will not book that place since it is that inconvenient to travel around.

@ shengyan

Thanks. I had a look at Airbnb and booked a homestay for 3 nights. It is certainly cheaper than staying in an hostel. I have stayed at hotels, hostels, guesthouses, and dormitories, but this is the first time I will be staying in someone's apartment. I might extend the stay for a couple of nights (if the room is not rented out to someone else by then) or try find alternative accommodation.

I understand that in China, hotels / hostels / guesthouses / dorms will register their guests with the local police. At least, that's what I read somewhere at this forum. Whether it is being done and whether the police really bother, I have no idea. But I read of someone here who said she was fined RMB 700 because she did not register her place of abode with the police within 24 hours upon arriving. I wouldn't want to be slapped with a fine when I am at the airport to catch my flight out of China. And this means I will have to find the nearest police station before I go anywhere in Nanjing! hahaha.

Nanjing, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: day trip to Nanjing

Hi Eric,

Are you here in China only for tourist visiting? If so, I haven't heard of this register issue at all. And I don't think it's true for the case of tourists, not feasible. Maybe it's for long-term dwellers. You can try to ask the customs upon your arrival before you enter China.

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
225 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: day trip to Nanjing

@ shengyan

Holiday. Not for doing business or employment. I am curious why that lady was fined RMB 700. She gave no other information other than that she did not register where she was staying.

I will arrive at HZ airport and will be staying in an hotel in HZ. So, it's like this:

HZ - 3 days in hotel (so no point asking the HZ customs officer which might cause unnecessarily alarm and earn myself a special footnote in red in their computer for eternity?)

SH - 3 days in hotel

NJ - 3 days homestay

I have 5 days to spare before returning to HZ to catch my flight home, and still undecided where to spend that. hahaha.

It will be a choice between NJ and HZ. Anyway, I must return to HZ to catch my flight out of China.

On a different note, I am so happy that both NJ and HZ have a metro. I have google the maps and they seem to cover almost all the major attractions.

Last time, I had great difficulty travelling from one place to another. As I did not know which bus number goes to which place and some places, you might have to transfer to another bus, and a tourist is unlikely to be able to figure that out even after asking (and most locals did not speak English in those days), so I had to depend on taxis. But this time, I want to do my own itinerary and be my own tour guide using only the metro. That should be fun. Hahaha.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 00:39
Nanjing, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: day trip to Nanjing

Hi Eric,

For the last 3 days, maybe you can consider Yangzhou. It's an historical city in Jiangnan area, and has beautiful gardens where quite some classic Chinese dramas were filmed. Besides, it's the best time to visit Yangzhou also.

Or you can try some small water towns which are also typical in Jiangnan area such as Wuzhen, Xitang, Shaoxing, Tongli, Zhouzhuang etc. Although these towns are already over commercialized, but it is not so bad if you didn't see towns like this before!

16. Re: day trip to Nanjing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 02:45
Edited: 03 May 2014, 02:45
17. Re: day trip to Nanjing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 07:15