We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Kathmandu to Lhasa

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Kathmandu to Lhasa

Hi All

I plan on traveling from Kathmandu to Lhasa.

My understanding is that I need to get the Chinese visa in advance but I can get the Tibetan travels permits in Kathmandu. Has anybody had any experience with getting Tibetan travel permits in Kathmandu? Is this still possible or do I need to go through China to Lhasa

I also heard that when I'm applying for my chinese visa, I shouldn't say that I am going to Tibet. Is that also true?

Thanks for your help

wales
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Kathmandu to Lhasa

Hi we have just got back from Kathmandu and met some people who did Lhasa felt a bit rushed( Also beware of altitued sickness)

they seemed to have no trouble with Visas etc. I dont know much about the visa situation , But while we were in Kathmandu we met a great man ( Nepalese) who showed us around and his english was great ( also we had to kids 10 & 12 and he was so patient and funny with them

He is a wealth of knowledge on travelling there and will be able help you with your questions about Visas his Name is Naren and he can be emailed only serene@mos.com.np .

He would be able to help i am sure .

If you get chance spend a few days in Chitwan Park it is a drive from Kathmandu 6 hrs ish but seeing and spending time with elephants is well worth it

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
828 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Kathmandu to Lhasa

PM:

Last October, my wife and I flew from Kathmandu to Lhasa and then returned to Kathmandu overland. Actually, we only required a travel permit ( my wife and I were the "group"). We coordinated it through Sahadev Panday at Yeti Travel. They in turn worked with a Tibetian owned agency in Lhasa. We faxed our passport information to him, we flew into Kathmandu on a Sunday, the permit was issued on Monday and we flew to Lhasa on Tuesday. All went smoothly with no problems. There are several agencies that can help with arrangements. Sahadev was our guide on a three day trip to Kathmandu in 2004 and we put the whole Nepal - Tibet portion of the trip in his hands. At Lhasa they check your passport and permit. On the way back it was checked a couple of times at a couple of police check points. I'm not sure what your plans are after Tibet. You probably will need a Chinese visa if you're heading back through China and not returning to Kathmandu. You get your Nepal visa right at the airport, I think for $45US. If you're staying for three days or less, the visa is free. If you are going to Lhasa by land, you will probably just go as far as the border the first day. Be advised that the last two hours the road is quite bumpy. The next day you're most likely to go as far as Tingri. Most of the road there is narrow, goes around mountain sides and eventually goes over a nearly 17,000 ft. pass before getting to Tingri which is nearly at 14,000 ft. I have read on this forum of folks that have had problems with the sudden altitude. My wife and I took Diamox for two days prior to the flight to Lhasa. We had only minor problems and we're in our early 60's. I'll admit that our rear ends were dragging a bit as we climbed to the top of the Potala Palace.

Have a great trip - it's the experience of a lifetime!

3. Re: Travelling from Kathmandu to Lhasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 03:20