We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

Hi,

I'm a female traveler going solo to Tibet and I'd like to find a tour company that I can trust. Do you have any recommendations?

I'm thinking of going towards the end of August coming back the beginning of September.

Thanks!

Indiana
Level Contributor
785 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

http://tourguides.viator.com

We found a guide in Shanghai using this service and was very pleased. The guide we used is also part of their management team and told me about their quality control. While I did not use a Tibet guide, I would trust them to help me find a good one.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

You can't travel through Tibet unless you are on an organized tour. You can fly or train to Lhasa but to go any further such as Everest Base Camp you have to b on a tour otherwise you won't get a travel permit. There are plenty of operators in Lhasa but unless they already have people going on tour you could be stuck.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

You are not supposed to get on the train or plane to Tibet without a permit. Do not buy expensive non-refundable tickets and then find out you cannot board because you have no permit. Get your permit before or with your ticket.

4. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2011, 14:09
Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

you can not be solo, no travel agency will just sell you Tibet Travel Permit.You have to book hotel, tour guide or tour at the same time.If you would like to visit EBC, Samye Monastery , you need to apply for Alien Permit as well.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

Alien permit? What are we letting in little green men now?

Seriously I did a 7 night tour with A Lhasa company www.tibettravel.org. They used good Toyota Landcruiser 4x4s and English speaking guides. There were six in our group 4 males, 2 females. I already had a Tibet Travel Permit but booked the tour in Lhasa.

The company is part of Sichuan CITS (China International Travel Service - a government recommended company). They got me my permit days before Tibet shut down in early June and bent over backwards to help me. Google them.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

mark

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

Hi RedWhiteBlueandGreen,

Did you end up finding a good tour guide? If so, can you let me know who they are if you recommend them? I'm looking to travel to Tibet in October.

Thanks!

9. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2011, 11:35
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour guide recommendations Tibet - end of August 2011

good to hear about tibettours - I have been in communication with them since June about a tour in october and they have been brilliant