We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Topic
Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Hi everyone,

We've just completed a 2-week overland tour in Tibet, and I'd like to share something with your guys. We have been plan this trip for a very long time, and we contacted many agencies since about 10 months ago. Finally we made our decision in this April and chose a company called - Windhorsetour (www.windhorsetour.com). They offered a good price (not the lowest) and one of their staffs - who's been emailed with us was very patient and well-trained.

After we made the down payment (i was worried about it because it's an oversea company and we didn't meet any of them) and sent them our documents, they booked our airtickets and train, and we have received our permit about one month later. all group members (there were 8 of us) were concerned about the altitude in Tibet, we prepared some medicine and our agency provided some oxygen bottles and hou jin tian - sort of tibetan medicine, but actually we're fine, no one has ever took the oxygen and medicine.

We took an overland tour from Lhasa to everest base camp and visited namtso lake on our way back, we wanted to visit rongbuk glacier but it's not accessible anymore according to our agency. Our van was fairly new, and the whole trip was well-planed, and our Tibetan driver & guide were wonderful (and handsome), they took a good care of everyone, showed us the best parts of tibet, and our driver Dorje was a great singer! So remind to ask for tibetan guide and driver when you plan your trip.

There's nothing worth to say about our hotels, most of them are fine, but the hotel in Shigatse was failed to meet our expectation, I don't know if there's any better options in town. The guesthouse at everest was thrilling, literally.

During our trip, we've seen many speed limit check points on the way, so it's always took longer time than we expected. We didn't understand why, but a lot of the time was wasted because of that. oh. we took the train from Lhasa to Chengdu at the end of this tour..hum.. it's quite different with trains in other countries, the scenery was very nice, but i wouldn't do it again if i have another chance to Tibet. 2 days stay in a small cabin and share a bathroom with hundreds of strangers. hell no.

Anyhow we feel really lucky for having had an opportunity to visit this amazing place, thank you Puntso, Dorje, murphy and windhorsetour!

Goh.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Thanks for sharing Goh,

I thought it would be smoother if going after May 1st. As it was said the traffic and security checkpoints would be abandoned since May 1st. The Police cars would make the rounds and took a random check instead. But it seems all hasn’t changed much due to the speed limitation. It is really hard to tell if this is good or bad. If there’s no other effective way, this probably the best for safety driving.

kathy

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

This regulation is efficient and economical, no point to change. To drive safely on highland with thin air is primary issue.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Thanks for your report, I would also have thought there would have been less checks now but it seems not much has changed.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Not surperising, very very normal. If you have a Chinese look, more times you would be checked within Lhasa city even you are not visiting any tourists spots. Did you remember you guys are pressed to a special passway and must take off your shoes for check at airport to Lhasa?

Edited: 28 June 2013, 17:20
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
241 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Thanks for your report. We plan to travel to Tibet in late October. Can you tell me the names of your hotels....especially the Shigatse one that did not meet your expectation? I assume you did not stay in a yak tent at EBC but at the monestary?

Thanks again for taking the time to write your report - always helpful to those of us still planning our trips.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Not encountered that problem when I was there, assumed it’s because I travelled in a group of foreigners.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

Yes now it seems there’s no better solution, so this probably the best.

8. Re: Trip Report - Everest Base Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 05:17