We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibet permit / August 2013

Guangzhou
3 posts
Save Topic
Tibet permit / August 2013

HELLO

I plan to visit Tibet on August 2013, I hope to fly from Chengdu, however I don’t have a Tibet permit.

Anyone can recommend a place in Chengdu where I could get Tibet permit?

thanks

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

Hello K2spuky,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Tibet!

You can not only get the Tibet permit, you need to use an agency and that is compulsory. But it looks like you are from China, if you are Chinese citizen then you won't need a permit as far as I know. I am foreigner so the rules for you and for me might be different [I am French]. If you are Chinese citizen then you can enter Tibet without a travel permit. If I am wrong then someone will correct me later!

Good Luck!

Edited: 28 July 2013, 15:52
china
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

Best option is that you will spend one nigh in Chengdu and wait to revive the your permit, because you need original your Tibet travel permit to broad your plane to Lhasa

Guangzhou
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

thanks Jose!!

i am German, so i do need a permit. and i will spend 4 - 5 days in Chengdu.

once I am in Chendu, where is the best place to get "JOIN" a group and get the permit?

I would also buy plane ticket from the place that get me the permit !!!

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

To K2spuky,

The Tibet permit should be issued at least 15 days before your arrival date in Tibet, and travel agency do not sell permit only but with a tour as Rhythm mentioned, so from now on you should begin to contact with an travel agency and confirm your tour ASAP. Today is 29th of July, the earliest possible date you may enter Tibet is on 13rd of August. And hope you hold "L" type China Visa, or you need provide a certification letter(The one how you got your China Visa provided from your company or school in China.)

And there are several kinds of "Join in tour" in Tibet actually, but in fixed date. Eg: Lhasa city tour in 4 days, Lhasa and EBC tour 8 days, and Lhasa and Namtso Lake tour 5 days etc. You need to adjust your time to fit the fixed date, or you will be advice to take a private tour with individual(4 WD or minivan, based on your group number) vehicle and guide.

Now the possible fixed date you may join a tour in August on 20th, 25th, 27th.

Hope the above may help you.

Shenzhen, China
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

Hi Christine, are you working for the travel agency? Must a foreigner book and pay for a organized tour and follow the route with other strangers then can get a TTP? If someone has chinese family and friends to travel with, must them go separately in Tibet?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

@zuhaus. You definitely can go together. Just find one the numerous tour agents doing business receiving overseas traveler, they will go through the official process for tour of foreigners, you Chinese citizen can join in, and make the expense per person down.

@K2spuky. There are a number of agents doing join in tours to Tibet, just google them out. It's too late to book your tour in Chengdu, generally it's advised to make the arrangement 30 days in advance. Seems you move a bit late, but i think you still have time to find a suitable join in tour. Just hurry up! August is the very peak tourism time for Tibet. Ticket is not a concern, permit & tour first, then flight ticket!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

I have a UK passport. Is it possible to get a visa in Chendu to enter Tibet. I know I can fly or go by train from Chendu to Lhasa but is it possible to go by road as well, even if it is a long way. When finished in Tibet can I go by road to Kathmandu. I will be travelling by myself but understand that I may have to join a group. How do I do this in Chendu..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

It is possible to go by road from Golmud (the legal and easiest way). Another way is from Nathu la, through Sikkim, India. Make sure to bring all relevant travel documents with you. As well as tents, food, drinks...

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

# 8 is dead wrong : the only traffic going thru the Nathu La pass ( Sikkim and Gangtok on the southern Indian side , Yadong in China ) is local traders that go the trade marts on respective sides of the borders , a few klicks in. Indian nationals can visit the border with permits issues in Gangtok. Foreigners are not allowed to visit. A promised bus line from Yadong to Gangtok is nearly a decade behind schedule .

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tibet permit / August 2013

#Re post no 8:

I also heard that you can enter Tibet only from China or from Nepal. You cannot enter Tibet from any other points as far as I know.

Happy traveling!