We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does it compare?

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
How does it compare?

In October 2012 we went to Kathmandu and did a 18-20 day trek to EBC including Gokyo Ri and Chola Pass then went off to Chitwan on our own. So, we had the most amazing trip and for some bonkers reason :) we are considering another trek to Tibet around October time (we did EBC at the beginning of October and weather was perfect).

I know that if my experience of trying to find a company for EBC was anything to go by, there were be lots of fake reviews and one time reviewer suggestions. Whilst I was happy with the company we used (it was just the two of us and a guide/porter, no others joined us), if any regulars on here could suggest itineraries and suggestions I would be really grateful. I'm not sure how different the process is, I know with EBC there were large groups, people just turning up and hiring porters/guides and finding tea houses en route and people that just treked with a guide.

My other question is where would be best to fly into? We are happy to do train journeys and love overnight train trips too.

Thanks

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does it compare?

Hello,

If you are happy with the train Journeys then Beijing to Lhasa Train journey is considered as one of the best train journeys in the world. You can probably this about that. If you this this train journey is long then you can book another train journey from Chengdu. You can fly to Chengdu and start journey from there.

Espoo
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How does it compare?

If you are thinking about trekking to Tibetan EBC, it can be reached by car. There are no villages like on the Nepalese side and no trekking infrastructure. Nobody walks there.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does it compare?

Hmm, perhaps it is not for us. Doesn't seem as scenic as our Nepal trek and certainly wouldn't want to be trekking with cars! Nepal is calling me back!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,700 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does it compare?

There's also a east route to reach Everest in Tibet, but needs special permit. This route is the fist one followed by G. Mallory, and shows the east side of Everest. Very Impressive.

Think also about the ECB North because EBC North has the best view of Everest: you have 3600mters of his North Face over your head. I've been several times here and also in the South side in Nepal, but the best view of Everest is the Tibetan one.

Namaste

Rongpuk

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does it compare?

Hi guys, it is true that approaching from the Tibet side is by road. There are some villages along the way but its nothing like the trek from Nepal.

However, if you don't like the idea of 100km 4WD journey, you can also join cycle tours and motorbike tours, plus occasional hikers.

I would highly recommend you do a tour. We flew to Beijing then a few days later we took the train to Xining to acclimatize (2 sleeps). Although Xining itself is not a beautiful city, there are 2 very important and impressive Tibetan monasteries you can visit. It is also the start of the Tibet Train. Then don't miss the incredible train journey from Xining to Lhasa. This I think is the highlight of 41 countries I visited so far. Then from there, Tibet is just amazing. The monasteries and scenery is to die for. By the time you get to EBC, you will have the most amazing view and you won't be disappointed. The North Face view is so much better than from the south. And you can stay in a tent at EBC with traditional owner and really feel like you're there. On the drive out of EBC towards Nepal, we saw many yak farmers living in tents along the way. We even met some of the children and took photos. We also saw a lot of meerkats along the way. There are snow leopards and deer as well. We didn't see any leopards but were told that sometimes they show themselves on the journey.

We travelled with Budget Tibet Tour in Sep 2013 and had the most amazing trip. Don't disregard it on the basis of the hike as Tibet is not to be missed!

6. Re: How does it compare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 06:15