We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

I guys, next september I am planning to buy a 8 days Tibet Tour to travel with my wife and we will take the train from Beijing to Lhasa and then all the way back to Xian and then another train to Beijing again because the air tickets are very expensive to this route. I know the trip is about 48hrs each leg and I have some concerns about it.

1- How many stops do we have from Beijing to Lhasa and how long time does it take at each stop?

2- Is the food included in the price when you buy the tickets? Nice food?

3- What exactly is the difference between the soft sleep and the hard sleep ticket?

I wonder all that since I couldn´t find these informations anywhere. I am sorry if someone already asked this before.

Thanks in advanced!

Road To Tibet-Day Tour
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Basanta Adventure Treks & Expeditions
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Tibet Travel Expert Service
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Photography Tours
China Odyssey Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

The man in seat 61 has most of the answers :

www.seat61.com/China.htm#Lhasa%20&%20Tibet

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

For this kind of duration I would definitely got soft sleepers unless you are on a super tight budget. It is more comfortable and more private.

The train to Lhasa has 7 stops before Lhasa.

Ticket prices do not include food.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

Most of your questions have been answered already, but yes, definitely soft sleeper. The difference is the number of people in the cabin. Soft sleeper only has 4 per cabin. See if you can get 2 lower bunks for the Tibet train, or at least one as you will really enjoy the scenery. Food is additional but you can stock up before you get on the train. They provide hot water for making your own 2min cup noodles, so that's a good start. The food is okay on the train but we usually take our own. Take drinks with you as well. And a book, although during daylight hours you are not going to be able to take your eyes off the scenery outside!

Usually nowhere to charge devices, so charge up your iPads, etc before you go.. And batteries for your camera - you're going to need them!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

Re #2, yes, the train to Lhasa has 7 stops before Lhasa and no free meals provided.

The #T27 will stops;

5min at Shijiazhuang North,

6min at Taiyuan,

10min at Zhongwei,

17min at Lanzhou,

20min at Xining Xi and Ge Er Mu,

6min at Nagqu.

IMO, the hard/soft sleeper compartment door did not open doors in Nagqu probably due to no passenger got off.

For meals; before boarding, bring your favorite. I’ll bring Yueshengzhai fragrant meats at Beijing.

Differences between the soft sleep and the hard sleep, please surf photos at www.tibetjointour.com/Info/Tibet-trains.html. I’m no idea for soft sleeper. IMO, the hard sleeper photos are same as my previous trip.

Privacy:

I took Chengdu- Lhasa train in 2006.08. The hard sleeper and soft sleeper compartmentalizes with 8 cabins. Each cabin has 2 X triple decks berth (hard sleeper) and 2 double decks berth (soft sleeper). In that decade, no LCD TV built in at soft sleeper.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

Most of your questions have been answered already, but yes, definitely soft sleeper. The difference is the number of people in the cabin. Soft sleeper only has 4 per cabin. See if you can get 2 lower bunks for the Tibet train, or at least one as you will really enjoy the scenery. Food is additional but you can stock up before you get on the train. They provide hot water for making your own 2min cup noodles, so that's a good start. The food is okay on the train but we usually take our own. Take drinks with you as well. And a book, although during daylight hours you are not going to be able to take your eyes off the scenery outside!

Usually nowhere to charge devices, so charge up your iPads, etc before you go.. And batteries for your camera - you're going to need them!

Don't get too excited about the TVs in soft sleeper - they didn't work. Not on Beijing to Xining either. They did work when we were in China a few years ago but not this time, so don't rely on them.

6. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 04:45
7. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 04:55
Lhasa
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

the difference between soft and hard sleep ticket is if you buy the soft tickets more individual space you have.

The food is not included in the ticket. You have to pay if you have a lunch on the train( you can take some food).

station train number arriving time leaving time stay

01 北京西 T27 the same day 20:09 始发

02 石家庄北 T27 the same day 22:46 22:48 2 mins

03 太原 T27 next day 00:55 01:01 6 mins

04 兰州 T27 next day 13:04 13:19 15 mins

05 西宁西 T27 next day 15:50 16:10 20 mins

06 格尔木 T27 third day 01:38 01:5 6 mins

08 拉萨 T27 third day 16:00

Hope to help you!

By the way,TibetTravel.org is a very good choice if you want order a tour.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

Wow thanks so much for all replies! You guys are amazing. So definitely it must be the soft sleeper and we must take our own food. I was reading a couple of articles about this train line and I read people mentioning that it is allowed to smoke inside? I am concerned about it because we don´t smoke. Are there non-smokings trains from Beijing to Lhasa and from Lhasa to Xian?

Thanks in advanced!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing - Lhasa - Beijing Train Itinerary?

Smoking is not allowed on the trains. On some trains smoking is allowed between cars.