We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

View of Everest & Lhasa guide

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
529 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
View of Everest & Lhasa guide

We are traveling to Lhasa in June would like to see Everest, but do not really want to do the whole "trekking" thing. We don't really feel the need to go all the way to Base Camp, just really want to see the mountain. Does anyone have a recommendation for a guide that can help us thru Lhasa and see Everest as well? We would like to use someone who is based out of Lhasa. Also, we are traveling with our son (11yrs) and prefer not to travel with a group.

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

Foreign passport holders visiting Tibet need to have Tibet permit as well as their Chinese visa and go on a tour. I know Spinn cafe in Lhasa do run some tours. See http://www.cafespinn.com/

Hampstead, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

I'm just starting my own research on Lhasa, so unfortunately can't be of much help with the guide. That said, if you are continuing on into Nepal my husband and I took a flight a couple of years ago out of Kathmandu that was simply an Everest viewing flight. It was on Buddha Air, cost about $120US and lasted somewhere between and hour and an hour and a half. No trekking involved, and a lot of fun! I apologize if this isn't helpful, but thought I'd give it a shot. Here are some of our photos from that trip:

…typepad.com/where_are_they_now_our_jo/2007/…

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
529 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

We are not going to Nepal, but I wonder if such a flight might be available from the Lhasa airport?

Hampstead, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

Very possibly. I'll certainly let you know if I find one while doing research for our trip. The airlines that ran them in Nepal were Yeti and Biddha air.

Lhasa, Tibet
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

You don't have to "trek" to see the Everest, your car can drive you all the way to Rongbuk Monastery and you can have a very clear view of the mountain from this point.

arizona
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

Hello!

How far away form Lhasa is the Rongbuk Monastery?

Thank you!

barcelona
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

Hello

Just for your information.

I have already come back from Tibet. I have spent 8 days crossing Tibet lands (from Lhasa to Nepal border). It is not an easy travel (permits, weather...) above all in this season because there were no tourist and it is difficult to find services. But I just can say that it has been a fantastic experience!.I was travelling with my boyfriend, we could enjoy of fantastic views, blue sky and good friends. We did all trip with our guide and our driver. It is not possible to visit Tibet if you don´t have a guide service. Sometimes it is a little hard to spend all your holidays with a tour service and, above all, if you use to travel by yourself, but, in this case, we can say that we spent our days with a fantastic profesional who, finally, became our friend. He is Dhondup (www.tibetanguide.com). He gave us his best services, he took care of us every time but without any pressure. He tried to find best places to eat and sleep always thinking in our budget (and we can assure that it was not easy because almost all places were closed because it was low season). So, if you are thinking in to visit Tibet don´t have any doubt to contact him, I am sure he is the best choice! (and also Torche, the driver, who was able to drive safetly in spite of winds, freeze and all things you can imagine can happen in an experience like this. Thank you Torche and Dhondup!!

barcelona
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

around 550 km (but you would need 3 days to arrive it)

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

From below you get view of Mt. Everest if ignoring EBC:

Gyatso-La

Shegar

Pang-La (but you have already get onto the road to EBC)

Gangkar

Road after Gangkar to Nyalam

Last three offer great view of Himalaya mountain ranges.

10. Re: View of Everest & Lhasa guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 November 2012, 10:05