We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopping at Xi'an for a couple of days

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Stopping at Xi'an for a couple of days

I plan to catch the train from Beijing to Lhasa and stop at Xi'an for a couple of days. As I understand it, I need to buy a sleeper for the whole trip and then get off in Xi'an and request that my onward journey be delayed by two days. After two days I can get back on the Lhasa train but cannot reserve a sleeper for this section, but can only get on the train and see what is available. Has anyone any experieince of this and is getting a sleeper from Xi'an a problem?

Beijing, China
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopping at Xi'an for a couple of days

1. Obviously, you don't have to do in this way if you want to stop in Xian. There are many over-night train from Beijing to Xian. Beijing Lhasa train is not the only choice. Or you can also choose to fly Xian if air ticket is in a good budget then.

2. Let your travel agent arrange you a train ticket from Xian to Lhasa. Then, you can continue your trip to Tibet after a couple of days stop in Xian. (You are not trying to go to Tibet independently, are you? You must rely on a tour operator to travel to Tibet.)

3. Actually, Tibet Train ticket is hard to get, especially for soft sleepers. Make desicion and arrangement in advance. However, the train ticket from Tibet outgoing is easier. Maybe, you can try to experience the train journey on the way back.

4. When are you planning to travel in Tibet? Because it is said that the application for Tibet travel permit has been stopped for the coming March. It is better to avoid this sensitive period.

Lhasa, Tibet
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopping at Xi'an for a couple of days

If you buy a ticket from Beijing to Lhasa and stop in Xi'an, you can come back the train within six days from the departure date but you will lose your reserved sleeper or seat. Your reservation will be lost and you have to find your own seat or sleeper (at a price).

I definitely don't suggest you travel this way... it's not that fun.

3. Re: Stopping at Xi'an for a couple of days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 05:17