We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibet Closed to Foreing Visitors

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
Tibet Closed to Foreing Visitors

It's official - I have just received word from my travel agent.....Tibet is closed to foreign visitors from June 25 to July 25. My husband and I are so disappointed......another time, I guess. The tour we are scheduled on with has substituted Shangri-la region.....

Edited: 03 June 2011, 17:26
Road To Tibet-Day Tour
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Basanta Adventure Treks & Expeditions
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Tibet Travel Expert Service
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Photography Tours
China Odyssey Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
OzQ
Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tibet Closed to Foreing Visitors

Can you let me know why Tibet is closed to foreign visitors? Is it an annual thing or maybe just some political matters? i am hoping to visit Tibet in September and don't want to find out at the last minute. Thanks,

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
201 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tibet Closed to Foreing Visitors

From what I've read on the internet, it is due to political reasons. One possible explanation is that the Chinese gov't. moved the big 60th anniversary festival celebration of the so-called "liberation of Tibet" from May to July so perhaps that is why.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tibet Closed to Foreing Visitors

We were informed by our tour company that Tibet will be closed to foreigners June 25 to July 25 for security reasons since there will be many celebratory events ongoing for the 60th Anniversary of the founding of the Tibetan Autonomous Region - that's the Chinese official version

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tibet Closed to Foreing Visitors

Foreign visitors could film protests, send them to CNN and damage the "social harmony". That is what Beijing is afraid of.

5. Re: Tibet Closed to Foreing Visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 05:18