We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Tibet in Sept

OzQ
Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Tibet in Sept

Hi Everyone,

I am heading to China in September and my aim is to visit Tibet for up to 12 days if possible. Could you please help me with some of the questions below?

1. should I book a tour in advance or should I wait until I get to Chengdu and book it from there? I don't mind staying in Chengdu for 2 or 3 days before departing for Tibet. I am hoping to use a tour group based in Lhasa. I also prefer train.

2. What is the price estimation for the 12 days group tour with guide?

3. How do I prepare for high altitude as I have heard that most people get altitude sickness and would be out of action for a few days.

Thanks for your help.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
199 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Tibet in Sept

Here's my answers to your questions:

1) Book in advance. You'll have more time to research tour operators before your trip and check references by doing the time now.

2) Estimate $100 to $150 per day depending on the size of the group. This should include a guide, transport, admission fees, hotels, and all meals.

3) Acclimitize, acclimitize, acclimitize at least three days in Lhasa and TAKE IT EASY the first day your arrival into Lhasa as you'll be at 12,000 ft. Get a prescription called Diomox and start taking it 2 days prior to arrival into Lhasa and continue to take it during the trip as per your doctor's direction. Don't over exert yourself and try to relax as you enjoy the scenery. Many people experience mild headaches upon arriving at higher altitudes, but you need to be careful that altitude sickness doesn't creep in and causes you to start feelng nauseous with a massive headache. Be sure to have bottled oxygen available in case if needed. In severe cases, go down to a lower elevation as quickly as possible.

Beijing, China
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Tibet in Sept

Hey!

Ptadin's right - book in advance and do your research first, though there are plenty of hostels in Chengdu that you can join tour groups with if you want to be a bit more free with your plans. There's also a fair amount to see in/around Chengdu while you wait for permits to get sorted if you go this route. Agreed about the train - it takes about 44hrs (so definitely invest in a berth!) but is a better way to acclimatize to the altitude than a tour that flies in.

Precautions you can take to avoid acute mountain sickness are to stay well hydrated, eat low-fat, high carbohydrate meals and avoid extreme physical exertion. You’ll need to breathe more frequently to ensure your body gets enough oxygen, so you should avoid substances that lower your respiratory rate, like alcohol, sleeping pills, and narcotic pain medication.

Remember the three golden rules:

1. If you feel unwell at high altitudes, it is altitude sickness until proven otherwise.

2. Never ascend to a higher altitude if you have altitude sickness symptoms.

3. If you are getting worse, descend to a lower altitude at once.

spore
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Tibet in Sept

hi OzQ,

i am tinkin of gg tibet in sept as well...

any good finds? keep me posted, maybe we can meet up at chengdu and go travel together.

yip , singapore

OzQ
Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Tibet in Sept

Thank you ptadin and OfficialTrekiz for your info.

Yip, let me know your schedule for Tibet.

Cheers,

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Tibet in Sept

Diamox : start 24 hours before ascent , no earlier.

The train ( http://korta.nu/3e3c ) is a mix of advantages and disadvantages : the first 20 hours runs below 2000 meters which means no ( literally, zero ) acclimatization, and after Golmud (2800) it ascends two thousand meters in around two hours - and goes even higher in hours. This is balanced by the oxygen that is being piped in to the compartments. End result : if you go directly by train you are no better or worse off than on a fly in , but if you stay for a night or two in Xining at 2300 meters you are a lot better off.There are also options near Chengdu , like Kangding. Use the oxygen outlets liberally on the first hours from Golmud and if you have any headaches , and you are a lot better off.

Good background info ( Diamox regimen , the golden rules quoted in # 2 and more ) at http://korta.nu/5c3a

Edited: 25 June 2011, 19:27
6. Re: Going to Tibet in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Lhasa