We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Topic
Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

Can a foreign visitor take a public bus from airport to Lhasa city centre without the tour guide? And also to move around within the Lhasa city by city bus to Tibetan museum, Norblingka Park etc. without a tour guide?

Yes, I am aware that a foreign visitor must signed up for a package tour of kind, and yes, we will be using one...

Road To Tibet-Day Tour
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Basanta Adventure Treks & Expeditions
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Tibet Travel Expert Service
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Photography Tours
China Odyssey Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

I am not sure, but you have been appearing to be a tour agent. Also not much sense to ask such question. In principle, foreigners are not allowed to looking around in Tibet by them self. Your thoughts will only bring trouble to your local tour operator.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

Also, no agent will cut the guide cost from your package.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

You can travel around Lhasa city limits using public transportation, however your guide must be with you in order to enter into temples, museums and monasteries.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,770 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

dtanel, you're welcome here. OrientalRed in post 1 is completely right. Ok you can easy walk alone in Lhasa for a sightseen, take a tuktuk, but I suggest you to follow a program given by your TO so there'll not be problems :-)

Malaysia
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

I am definitely NOT a travel agent, but a visitor OR tourist to Tibet!!

As I will be arriving earlier than the rest of my group (but on the same day), hence I have some free time to do additional sighseeing before they arrive. Hence, my question above.

Appreciate you could respond to my question with real, actual answers.

Thank you!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,770 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

Maybe we dont understand one to each others :-) I agreed that maybe the tour operator with whom you'll travel in tibet could have problems if you try to visit the attractions alone, without them. You can have a walk in Lhasa, you can take local bus and do a sightseen if you have time while you're waiting for your companions. But to visit Norbulingka and others touristic attractions inside you'll need a guide.

I'm not sure you can move out of Lhasa airport without any chinese/tibetan guide. Last year some people waited for my arrival before leave the airport together with our guide. But definely I'm a foreigners and when I visit Lhasa I take local buses, tuktuk and I walk free and alone in the city without any kind of problems.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

Dtanel, firstly, i wonder how/where do you board the flight to Lhasa and how/where the other guys? Remember you have only one TTB permit to share. I am afraid you need to check in together at one time in same terminal of same airport and through a special passageway excluded for passengers to Tibet.

Also, from leaving the plane to reaching Lhasa city, you will be checked ID several times. Not sure what will be happening. But keep in mind you are doing an very unusual case.

In Lhasa city, you will be frequently checked ID since i guess you have a oriental looking and young. You know funnily, today Chinese tend to be more high risky than white westerner. You are OK if they don't pester you. Above this deadline, you are totally free in Lhasa.

Adelaide, South...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

Do you know what defines the 'Lhasa city limits'?

I am planning to cycle around Lhasa by bicycle, I can't work out where the exact edges of the city are..

Also, does the same rule apply in Shigatse? Or does my guide have to be with me at all times in this city?

Lhasa, Tibet
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

It is difficult to define the so-called "city limit". e.g. it is usually around 15 to 25 km away from Jokhang Monastery. But wait, if you are cycling to the Lhasa River side, there's a big checkpoint, new checkpoint, and it's just around 7km away from the city centre, but you should not cycle beyond that point by yourself.

10. Re: Foreign visitor DIY in Lhasa City via public bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lhasa