We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambon

Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Ambon

I am hoping to visit Ambon in the next few months..and go to the Aust War Cemetery.....where my late Fathers name is on a column

there.... has anyone been there, and is it safe? to go.... I am very apprehensive about the trip but very much want to go.....Are there many good places to stay .... any information would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. Are flights to there O.K.?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambon

I was looking at a charter that would have put me in Ambon at the end of the trip. To get back to Bali from there, I would have flown Wings Air from Ambon to Ujung Pandang and connected to a Garuda flight to Bali. The Wings flight would have been on an MD-82 and the Garuda flight was a 737.

Hope someone else comes along who can help more regarding Ambon itself.

Ambon
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambon

Hi,

You are welcome to visit Ambon now. We have no more conflict from now on. The locals both Christian and Muslim are working very hard now in establishing Maluku as a tourist destination.

If you are scheduled to come in July, you will be in for a treat. In July, we are celebrating Darwin – Ambon International Yacht Sailing Festival. The event which began in 1976 has not been held since 1998 eversince the violence but now we are roaring to go. For more information please visit www.darwinambonrace.com.au.

To get to Ambon, you can fly from Jakarta, Surabaya and Ujung Pandang with different low cost airlines such as Lion Air and Batavia Air.

For more information please do not hesitate to contact us. We are please to assist you in anyway we could.

regards,

Guest Relation Officer

Manise Hotel

Jln. W.R Supratman No.1

Ambon 97124

Indonesia

Telp : (+62) 911 341445

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambon

Hi Geraldine. I have just returned from a week in Ambon. We stayed at the Grand Soya - not so grand these days, but fine - good a/c, hot water and its own chinese restaurant! The War memorial is still well tended but I'm not sure when it is open. The Australian Embassy have just removed all their staff from Ambon because of some recent minor bombings so................ is it safe? Your call. We were certainly careful re where we went and when. The port and market area was very crowded and the energy of a local political rally was high.... However the people we met were friendly and the surrounding counrty side is beautiful. A shame when a country's own unrest spoils the tourist economy. We flew Batavia Air from jakarta - good modern plane with indonesian pilot. Baguala bay resort out of town was restful but no hot showers!

Nicky, Sydney

Ambon
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambon

Hi Nicky,

We are glad that you have such a positive feedback about Ambon. So you are staying in Grand Soya? May we know if you came to Ambon by yourself or with an agency?

Dont worry about the recent facilities in Ambon as we are working very hard to improve day by day. Just to let you know that we are opening our own resort in Ambon next year. It is called Aston Manise Natsepa Hotel, Resort & Spa. Look out for the opening date on www.aston-international.com.

Looking forward to welcome you and provide you with better service in Ambon next time.

Thank you.

regards,

Guest Relation Officer

Manise Hotel

Jln. W.R Supratman No.1

Ambon 97124

Indonesia

Email: sales [at] manisehotel.com

Netherlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambon

Hello,

I visit Amon for two times, ( December 2005 and November 2006 )

We did'nt had any problems and the people are very friendly and happy when they see tourists.

I visit Ambon city, Saparua and Nua laut

One time with a friend , we stay at Batu Gajah its a area in Ambon city. The second time only with my wife. We stay with friends we made the year before.

This year we want to come again but want to stay in a Hotel and will travel around e.g. Ambon , Saparua and Nusa Laut.

We don't know if the accomdation at is possible , may be somebody can tell abaut guide or something.

With regards,

John

Netherlands

Ambon
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambon

Dear Mr. John,

For the guide, we do have a local guide who is familiar with the city and culture. She is also the representative and also in charge for the administrative work for the tourist from Netherland who wants to visit Ambon. Do let us know if we can be any help. Thank you.

regards,

Guest Relation Officer

Manise Hotel

Jln. W.R Supratman No.1

Ambon 97124

Indonesia

KL, Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambon

Hi there you Ambon experts!

I am quite keen to visit (I live in Malysia) but i would like to know: when is the rainy season? Which is the driest time of year to comne? For diving, rainy season usually makes the water murky...

Thanks

Lawrence

Ambon
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ambon

Hi Lawrence,

It is possible to dive Ambon year around. The best months however are from September to May as the weather usually encourages diving at all dive sites. During the months from May to August diving is the best on the northern side of the islands and also the quite bay of Ambon, Indonesia.

We have different dive operator but some is more expensive than the others. If you would like to know more, do not hesitate to contact us and we would be very glad to help you.

regards,

Guest Relation Officer

Manise Hotel

Jln. W.R Supratman No.1

Ambon 97124

Indonesia

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ambon

Hi Geraldine,

A friend of mine Geoff Sims from here in Sydney is currently in the area so I will try to get him to email me with loads of details when he gets back.

One of the guys from Virtual Tourist website spends so much of his time and has not had any problems.

Suggest you post on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree as well in about 3 weeks time and that guy Laszlo will definitely answer you, but not for another 3 weeks as he is currently (in Kalimantan) I think for a month.

Here is the link to Laszlo's (Hunwagner) website on Virtual Tourist.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/2e789/65a/

Definitely worth a read.

Send me a Prvate Message to remind me as i am quite a busy woman posting on about 8-10 forums about Indonesia.

If I hear of any other news or information I will get straight back on this thread and post.

Cheers,

Pamela.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ambon

Geraldine,

Hot foot it over to Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Indonesia Forum because Laszlo posted today so he is near internet.

I am sure he will be able to answer a lot of your questions from traveller point of view.

Link is www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa…

Pamela.