We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

Doing some independent travel in 2012 (probably April or May) and will probably be going solo.

I want to visit (after Singapore and KL): Yogjakarta, Nusa Dua, Ubud, and Lombok.

Trouble is, I am not exactly overjoyed with having to fly small budget Indonesian airlines between these destinations. Is there any way this can be avoided?

I can get from Ubud to Nusa Dua without flying (obviously) and I am sure I can get a ferry of some kind to Lombok from east Bali, but how do I get from Yogjakarta (JOG) to Denpasar (DPS)? Is it only possible by flying? I know Indonesia does not have a very good rail system on any of its huge islands.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

There is ferry service from Banyuwangi, East Java to Bali.

However, it must be noted that Banyuwangi is far from Yogjakarta. You may want to stop by at Probolinggo, and make a detour to Mt. Bromo.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

Statistically the possibility of road accident in Indonesia is much much higher than the possibility of -God forbid- plane crash. Getting from Yogyakarta to Banyuwangi (where the ferry port to Bali is located) took around 13 hours by bus. And Indonesia's ferries are also notorious for lack of safety.

I suggest that you fly reputable airline such as Garuda Indonesia.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

If being nervous is your thing, then think hard about how many ferry sinkings there are in certain parts of the world vs how many plane crashes there are.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

There are flights across to Lombok from Bali with Lion Air/Wings using new ATR 72-500 turbo props. Garuda use a late model boeing 737-800NG.

From Bali to Yogyakarta Garuda operate a similar 737-800NG and Lion Air a 737-900ER.

These are not clunky old repainted boneyard specials and these are hardly "small" airlines.

There is a rail service connecting Jakarta/Bandung and Yogyakarta with connections by bus through to Bali.

kereta-api.co.id/layanan-produk/ka-penumpang…

Of course there is a sea crossing between Java and Bali.

Edited: 09 November 2011, 18:27
Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

Hi,

From Bali you can get a bus to Yogjakarta - about 17 hr long trip which also includes a 30 minute ferry trip from Bali to Java.

Best to fly and as j_hurcules mentions the planes flying between the two areas are major sized aircraft - not 12 seaters that you find in remote parts of Indonesia.

Pamela.

6. Re: How do I avoid flying between Java and Bali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 06:16