We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of internal flights - any advice?

london
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of internal flights - any advice?

I am going to be travelling from the UK to Indonesia and have quite a few places i want to visit which will involve quite a few internal flights, 5 in total i think.

How would you advise i book those? Will i get a discount booking those all together and if so how can i book best from the UK?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Ella :-)

london
Level Contributor
921 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of internal flights - any advice?

Hi there

My hubby and I love Indonesia and go on dive trips there whenever we can.

However, booking internal Indonesian flights from the UK is a total nightmare, we spent a whole weekend trying and failing to book two seats on one flight !. The airlines all say on their websites that it's not a problem , but we found that it was.

We asked the owner of the first dive resort we went to to book our flight , which he did and he also got us a much better price. Apparently another option is for a recommended Indonesian travel agent to do it for you. Finally we found that all of the airlines have ticket desks in the airports we went through, so unless you have really tight deadlines to make and or you are goint at the absolute peak of the peak season , you may well be OK leaving a few untill you get there.

We didn't approach a UK travel agent , but that may also be a possibility.

Have a wonderful trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of internal flights - any advice?

Hi,

Best to buy all internal flights when you arrive in Indonesia otherwise you will pay a lot more than the going price.

Pamela.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of internal flights - any advice?

as advised, getting domestic flights is better to get when in indonesia. tickets can be purchased at the domestic airline counter at major internal airports. in some places, there are no domestic counters to buy ickets at the domestic airport. these can be purchased in the nearby town at an agency.

you can get tickets before hand if you buy via an ibdonesian agent or via some travel companies or via some hotels.

some examples for my trip in march /april 2012 are:

1. i'm buying my tickets to sumba at the domestic counter in bali. this way i can check which is my best flight. i get an idea of the flights available via the websites of various airlines but that doesn't mean that there is a flight till you have the ticket in your hand and you are boardig the plane. dont wait to the last minute to get internal tickets as some flights get sold out.

2. on my trip to sumbawa, i have got my tickets via the hotel i'm staying at. sometimes, packages are offered and these can be good value for money or making a difficult journey hassle free.

on this trip i've six, maybe eight domestic flights, some include my family when they join me.

good luck

london
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of internal flights - any advice?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will wait til I get to Bali before booking my internal flights :)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of internal flights - any advice?

have a great trip

6. Re: Lots of internal flights - any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 10:31