We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours to kill at jakarta airport

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
8 hours to kill at jakarta airport

Hi, any ideas of what I can do with 8 hours in between flights at Jakarta airport? It will be from 4pm to 12. Is it possible to get into one if the lounges? Is it worth going into Jakarta?

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours to kill at jakarta airport

Hi,

It is not advisable to try and go into town, because of traffic problems.

And there is not much to do at the airport itself.

Bring a good book and install yourself at one of the food shops.

Theo

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours to kill at jakarta airport

Just strive to maintain your sanity until you can get out of there again.

There is not any much use trying to go somewhere, it could just make it all worse by seeing you stranded in a gridlocked taxi trying to get back to the airport to board your departing flight.

Just be glad it is not more than 8 hours.

However 8 hours is a long time to endure the CGK terminals so you might like to look over some previous discussions of this dilemma.

The answer is to head for Batavia (Kota) and investigate the historic precinct there and the charms of Cafe Batavia.

The person who started this topic...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294229-i9444-k534… had a 6 hour layover and they did a trip to Batavia.

They reported back that the excursion was a success, you have 2 extra hours so it might be an even greater success:)

However they had daylight hours, you have evening and night time.

Wandering around the square in Kota may be unsettling for some people.

You could just stick with the Batavia Cafe part of it and leave the wandering about for another time, possibly when the sun is shining.

Or just grind it out by shuffling around the airport like a zombie.

I have done that myself when stranded there for an extended time (it was much longer than 8 hours) and I don't recommend it unless you are already dead.

Is there someway you can delay your flight in so that you are sitting in a nice airport like Changi (Singapore) and biding your time there instead, that would turn a potentially brain damaging experience into something much more enjoyable and engaging.

Edited: 03 August 2012, 00:34
St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours to kill at jakarta airport

Another alternative is to visit nearby malls such as Pluit Village or Emporium Pluit.. which is relatively nearer to the airport compared to other places.. You can just have some dinner, coffee or watch some movies which will fill up your time quite easily.. Just take a cab from the airport.. easy..

Cheers

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hours to kill at jakarta airport

Jakarta has great cinemas, never tried any at Pluit Village or Emporium Pluit but in general they are excellent with good seating, sound and vision.

That could be a nice way to burn off some hours, take a light wrap or jacket as the airconditioning in cinemas can sometimes mimic conditions found closer to the arctic circle.

5. Re: 8 hours to kill at jakarta airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 00:16